Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring around the moon?

1. Oct 15, 2008 #1
    did anyone else happen to notice it as well? I believe is was on the night of the 13th. It got more and more Intense as the night went on. Beautiful none the less!

Anyone know why it happened? I used to remember the reason I thing but now I can't recall it. Oh. And I was in the central nj area.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2008 #2
    I saw it too, in Arizona. I thought it was just my eyesight going bad. Sometimes I have really bad night vision and I thought maybe I was just seeing a blurry moon, but it did make me stop and look. Maybe I don't need glasses
  4. Oct 15, 2008 #3
    Perhaps it was a moon halo. Here is a site with an explanation.
    I have seen a couple of them myself in the past, but I missed this one.
  5. Oct 15, 2008 #4
    I'm just hoping it wasn't motion blur as the moon rockets towards the northern hemisphere. How big of a crater does the moon leave when it hits? I know I'd die, but would it be enough to split the earth in half?
  6. Oct 15, 2008 #5
    what I saw didn't look quite like that picture. My halo was quite a bit smaller, but I'll buy the explanation.
  7. Oct 15, 2008 #6
    Ring around the moon, rain by noon.
  8. Oct 15, 2008 #7
    The reason for that piece of folk wishdom is that these high cirrus clouds are associated with a warm front approaching, in which the approaching warmer air is forced to move over the resident colder air starting at the highest levels. The uplifting warmer air cools and water cristals form (sublimation). As the front progresses the level at which condensation takes places decreases and the cloud deck gets thicker, eventually it may rain (drizzle type)....for days.

9. Oct 15, 2008 #8
    There may be several reasons for that. A moon halo is always the same size. Perhaps what you saw was not a moon halo, in which case I don't know what you saw.
  10. Oct 15, 2008 #9

Staff: Mentor

My family and I witnessed an odd ring around the moon years ago. It started off as a small well defined ring close to the moon, (no halo) and as time went by, the ring grew larger around the moon, although the thickness of the band remained the same, just a larger circumference. We watched for over 30 minutes until it encompased most of the sky, it was completely clear inside and outside the ring. The phenomenom was on the local news later. They said it was caused by ice crystals.

I've seen a number of moon halos before, but that was the first ring.
  11. Oct 15, 2008 #10
    damn, back to the blurry vision phenomenon?
  12. Oct 15, 2008 #11
    The ring could be an effect of moonshine.
  13. Oct 15, 2008 #12
    thanks jimmy! thats definitely what i saw :)
  14. Oct 15, 2008 #13
    I've always wanted to try moonshine...
  15. Oct 15, 2008 #14
    got any rubbing alcohol?
    Edit: I know, I know, I know. you'll go blind blah blah. Just saying the taste is similar
  16. Oct 15, 2008 #15

There was another old addage saying if you count the number of stars inside of the ring, that will be the number of days it will rain.

I tried it once and it never even rained. :cry:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?