Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring versus Disk Magnet

1. May 12, 2007 #1
    Is there a strength and/or field density difference between ring and disk magnets? I want to know which would create stronger eddy currents when dropped through a copper tube (which one would fall slower).
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2007 #2
    what i am asking about is are there field line dynamics that can affect the effective induction.
  4. May 15, 2007 #3
    A current carrying ring does not behave the same as a disk magnet in all curcumstances. For example, if the current carrying ring is rotating then the ring will remain uncharged. However when a disk magnetc is rotating then the disk will have a non-zero charge distribution, although the net charge will remain the same. See proof I wrote and paced on my website at - http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/em/rotating_magnet.htm

Good luck

5. May 15, 2007 #4
    i am not sure if you got this, but what i meant was ring magnets vs. disk magnets. (dropped through pipe)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?