Ring Without Identity - (mZ, +, * )

In summary, Peter is trying to understand what the isomorphism to transfer the structure of 'ring without identity' ( m \mathbb{Z} , + , \cdot ) back onto \mathbb{Z} might involve, but he is not able to see the 'big picture'.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paolo Aluffi's book, Algebra: Chapter 0.

I am currently focused on Chapter III, Section 2: The Category Ring.

I need some help in getting started on Problem 2.15 in this section.

Problem 2.15 at the end of Chapter III, Section 2 reads as follows:View attachment 4482
View attachment 4483I would welcome some help in getting a meaningful start on this problem ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

For the first part:

Note that the equation $\varphi(a \bullet b) = \varphi(a) \cdot \varphi(b)$ means $m(a\bullet b) = ma\cdot mb$, or $m(a\bullet b) = m[m(a\cdot b)]$. So $\varphi(a\cdot b) = \varphi(m(a\cdot b))$, which implies $a\bullet b = m(a\cdot b)$ since $\varphi$ is $1-1$. So define $\bullet$ on $\Bbb Z$ such that $a\bullet b := m(a\cdot b)$ for all $a,b\in \Bbb Z$.

For the second part:

To be more explicit, let $\bullet_m$ be the multiplication defined on $\Bbb Z$ such that $a\bullet_m b = m(a\cdot b)$, $a,b\in \Bbb Z$. Suppose $m$ and $n$ are distinct positive integers, and there is a ring isomorphism $T : (\Bbb Z, +,\bullet_m) \to (\Bbb Z,+, \bullet_n)$. We will arrive at a contradiction. If $x := T(1)$, then $T(k) = T(k\cdot 1) = kx$ for all $k\in \Bbb Z$. Hence $T(m) = mx$. On the other hand, $T(m) = T(1\bullet_m 1) = T(1)\bullet_n T(1) = nx^2$. So $mx = nx^2$, i.e., $T(m) = T(nx)$; as $T$ is $1-1$, $m = nx$. Hence, $n$ divides $m$. On the other hand, $T$ has an inverse $S$ such that $S(k) = ky$ for all $k\in \Bbb Z$, where $y = S(1)$. Use the equation $S(T(m)) = m$ to show that $xy = 1$. As a consequence, show that $my = n$. This shows $m$ divides $n$. Since $m$ and $n$ are positive integers and divide one another, they are equal. ($\rightarrow\, \leftarrow$)

Euge said:
Hi Peter,

For the first part:

Note that the equation $\varphi(a \bullet b) = \varphi(a) \cdot \varphi(b)$ means $m(a\bullet b) = ma\cdot mb$, or $m(a\bullet b) = m[m(a\cdot b)]$. So $\varphi(a\cdot b) = \varphi(m(a\cdot b))$, which implies $a\bullet b = m(a\cdot b)$ since $\varphi$ is $1-1$. So define $\bullet$ on $\Bbb Z$ such that $a\bullet b := m(a\cdot b)$ for all $a,b\in \Bbb Z$.

For the second part:

To be more explicit, let $\bullet_m$ be the multiplication defined on $\Bbb Z$ such that $a\bullet_m b = m(a\cdot b)$, $a,b\in \Bbb Z$. Suppose $m$ and $n$ are distinct positive integers, and there is a ring isomorphism $T : (\Bbb Z, +,\bullet_m) \to (\Bbb Z,+, \bullet_n)$. We will arrive at a contradiction. If $x := T(1)$, then $T(k) = T(k\cdot 1) = kx$ for all $k\in \Bbb Z$. Hence $T(m) = mx$. On the other hand, $T(m) = T(1\bullet_m 1) = T(1)\bullet_n T(1) = nx^2$. So $mx = nx^2$, i.e., $T(m) = T(nx)$; as $T$ is $1-1$, $m = nx$. Hence, $n$ divides $m$. On the other hand, $T$ has an inverse $S$ such that $S(k) = ky$ for all $k\in \Bbb Z$, where $y = S(1)$. Use the equation $S(T(m)) = m$ to show that $xy = 1$. As a consequence, show that $my = n$. This shows $m$ divides $n$. Since $m$ and $n$ are positive integers and divide one another, they are equal. ($\rightarrow\, \leftarrow$)

Thanks Euge ... but I think i need some further help in order to fully understand what is going on ...

You write:

" For the first part:

Note that the equation $\varphi(a \bullet b) = \varphi(a) \cdot \varphi(b)$ means $m(a\bullet b) = ma\cdot mb$, or $m(a\bullet b) = m[m(a\cdot b)]$. So $\varphi(a\cdot b) = \varphi(m(a\cdot b))$, which implies $a\bullet b = m(a\cdot b)$ since $\varphi$ is $1-1$. So define $\bullet$ on $\Bbb Z$ such that $a\bullet b := m(a\cdot b)$ for all $a,b\in \Bbb Z$. ... ... "

BUT ... ...

... ... we were asked to "use this isomorphism to transfer the structure of 'ring without identity' \(\displaystyle ( m \mathbb{Z} , + , \cdot )\) back onto \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}\) ...

I am struggling to understand how what you have said involves using the isomorphism to transfer the structure of 'ring without identity' \(\displaystyle ( m \mathbb{Z} , + , \cdot )\) back onto \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}\) ... ... indeed it seems to me that the new multiplication operation \(\displaystyle \bullet\) extends the group homomorphism \(\displaystyle \phi\) (actually isomorphism) into a ring homomorphism ... and that is it ... ? I must be missing something ... certainly not seeing the 'big picture' here ...

Wouldn't using the isomorphism to transfer the structure of 'ring without identity' \(\displaystyle ( m \mathbb{Z} , + , \cdot )\) back onto \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}\) involve some ring homomorphism \(\displaystyle \psi : m \mathbb{Z} \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}\)?Hope you can clarify ...

Peter

Last edited:
According to the author, he means that one should define a multiplication $\bullet$ on $\Bbb Z$ such that $\phi(a\bullet b) = \phi(a)\cdot \phi(b)$. Indeed, that's what I showed you. If you use $\psi$, which is the inverse of $\phi$, then you'll have $a\bullet b = \psi(\phi(a)\cdot \phi(b))$. That's all there is to it.

Related to Ring Without Identity - (mZ, +, * )

1. What is a "Ring Without Identity" in mathematics?

A "Ring Without Identity" is a mathematical structure that consists of a set with two binary operations, usually denoted as addition (+) and multiplication (*), that satisfy certain properties. One of the properties is the absence of an identity element, meaning that there is no element in the set that when combined with any other element, results in that same element.

2. What are the properties of a Ring Without Identity?

The properties of a Ring Without Identity include closure, associativity, and distributivity of both addition and multiplication. These properties ensure that the operations are well-defined and behave in a consistent manner.

3. How is a "Ring Without Identity" different from a regular ring?

A regular ring, also known as a ring with identity, has an identity element for both addition and multiplication. This means that there is an element in the set that, when combined with any other element, results in that same element. A "Ring Without Identity" lacks this element, making it a distinct mathematical structure.

4. What are some examples of "Rings Without Identity"?

Some examples of "Rings Without Identity" include the set of integers (Z) under modular addition and multiplication, the set of 2x2 matrices with integer coefficients under matrix addition and multiplication, and the set of polynomials with real coefficients under polynomial addition and multiplication.

5. What is the significance of studying "Rings Without Identity"?

Studying "Rings Without Identity" is important in understanding more general mathematical structures and their properties. It also has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as abstract algebra, number theory, and cryptography.