RISK: Can Strategy Affect Probability of Winning?

In summary, the conversation discusses a strategy for capturing two territories (A and B) in the board game RISK. The player has the option of capturing A first (with 2 defending pieces) or B first (with 3 defending pieces). The question is whether this decision will affect the player's probability of winning both territories. While the gut instinct is that it won't make a difference, the mathematical instinct suggests otherwise. However, the speaker is unsure how to calculate these probabilities and is seeking a suggestion from someone with mathematical knowledge. The conversation also mentions a table on page 5 which outlines the game tree with probabilities for the first battle, and page 6 which provides probabilities for the second battle. The speaker believes that there will be
Astudious
My friend proposed to me this problem, as we were playing the boardgame RISK (rules written here http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/risk.pdf if you don't know em, I guess the relevant bit is really p10-11).

Let's say I want to capture 2 territories, A and B, with 2 and 3 defending pieces on them respectively. I start off with 6 pieces in a country neighbouring both A and B. So, it's up to me my strategy: to capture A (2), then B (3), or the reverse. Will it make a difference (however small) to my probability of winning (succeeding in capturing both), which way I go?

Gut instinct looking at the boardgame is "no", but instinct looking at the maths is "yes". On the other hand I don't have a clue how to calculate such probabilities quantitatively and I'm not expecting it (even calculating the outcome of a single battle seems tricky http://www4.stat.ncsu.edu/~jaosborn/research/RISK.pdf though we could probably use the results if we needed).

I just want to know, if someone can suggest (and to some degree explain) from mathematical instinct, whether there will be a difference and if so which is the ideal path?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the table on page 5 to write down the full relevant game tree with probabilities for the first battle. It is not too large. Page 6 then gives the probabilities for the second battle.

As different army sizes give different probabilities to win/lose individual rounds, I would expect a difference, but I don't know in which direction.

Last edited:

What is risk?

Risk refers to the potential for loss or harm that may arise from a particular action or decision. In the context of strategy and winning, risk is often associated with the uncertainty of the outcome and the possibility of losing.

How does strategy affect the probability of winning?

Strategy can affect the probability of winning in several ways. A well-developed strategy can minimize or mitigate potential risks, increase the chances of making successful decisions, and improve overall performance.

What are some examples of strategies that can impact the probability of winning?

Strategies that can affect the probability of winning include risk management strategies, such as diversification and hedging, as well as performance-based strategies, such as cost leadership and differentiation. It is important to note that the effectiveness of a strategy may vary depending on the specific context and industry.

Can strategy completely eliminate risk?

No, strategy cannot completely eliminate risk. Even the most carefully planned and executed strategy cannot guarantee a successful outcome. However, a well-developed strategy can help minimize or mitigate potential risks and increase the probability of winning.

How can one assess the impact of a strategy on the probability of winning?

The impact of a strategy on the probability of winning can be assessed through performance metrics, such as return on investment, market share, and customer satisfaction. These metrics can help evaluate the effectiveness of a strategy and identify areas for improvement.