RL circuits and unit step functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the final current through an inductor at steady state. The current is initially 0 and then follows an exponential decay, with a final value of 1/6 A, until t=1 when a new unit step is applied causing the current to change. The 3Ω resistor is not considered during 0<t<1 as the inductor acts like a short-circuit. After t=1, the inductor still acts like a short-circuit but now there are two components of current passing through it.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1149/70833278.jpg

Now this is a part of the solution that was given I was having difficulty understanding.

The Attempt at a Solution

i(0) = 0 - understood

u(t -1) for 0 < t < 1 = 0

I can understand why the voltage from this source would be zero for that time period.

For any time t > 0 -> u(t) = 1, so V = 1

1) By i(∞) do they mean for the 0 < t < 1 period? So current just before t = 1? If so,

a) How is i(∞) = [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex]? There's also a 3Ω resistor in there, why is that being ignored? Is it because for i(∞), the inductor is considered to be acting like a short-circuit thereby implying the current has to flow through 6Ω resistor, but ignores the 3Ω due to the path of least resistance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i(∞) should be i after a long time, when currents and voltages have stabilized at steady state values.

I can't see why they say i(∞) = [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex].

There's also a 3Ω resistor in there, why is that being ignored?
Can't see a reason.

If the source on the right was of opposite polarity, then i would settle out at [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex].

Last edited:
Perhaps I should have posted the entire solution, although I was struggling to get the concept behind the first part, here it is in its entirety:

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1149/70833278.jpg
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6140/33110861.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So they are saying if you were to sketch the current, i(t), then at time 0 current is 0 and while t<1 the current is an exponential that, left alone, would level off at 1/6 A. However, that behaviour continues only until t=1, at which case the other unit step is applied and causes i(t) to now head on an exponential decay towards a final value of ½ A.

Hmm yea that makes sense, I think I just got confused as to what they meant about i(∞), but it's clear now.

So does this mean the current through the inductor is [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex] because that 3Ω resistor is not considered because that inductor is now acting like a short-circuit at i(∞)?

NewtonianAlch said:
Hmm yea that makes sense, I think I just got confused as to what they meant about i(∞), but it's clear now.

So does this mean the current through the inductor is [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex] because that 3Ω resistor is not considered because that inductor is now acting like a short-circuit at i(∞)?
During 0<t<1 the 3Ω is not part of the calculation of the final current because the inductor is a short-circuit at t(∞) so shorts out the 3Ω so that none of the current from the 6Ω will pass through the 3Ω. Then at t=1, u(t-1) kicks in and changes the final value that i is headed towards. The inductor still acts like a short circuit at t=∞ but now there are two components of current passing through it.

Awesome, just wanted to make sure my reasoning was correct, thanks for that!

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R) and inductor (L) connected in series. This type of circuit is used to control the flow of electric current and can be found in various electronic devices.

2. How do RL circuits behave when a unit step function is applied?

When a unit step function is applied to an RL circuit, the current and voltage in the circuit will change over time. Initially, the current will be zero and the voltage across the inductor will be at its maximum. As time goes on, the current will increase and the voltage across the inductor will decrease until it reaches its steady-state value.

3. What is a unit step function?

A unit step function is a mathematical function that represents a sudden change or "step" from one value to another. In an electrical circuit, it is often used to model the sudden application of a voltage or current.

4. How do you calculate the time constant of an RL circuit?

The time constant (τ) of an RL circuit can be calculated by dividing the inductance (L) by the resistance (R). This value represents the time it takes for the current in the circuit to reach 63.2% of its steady-state value.

5. What happens to an RL circuit in the long run?

In the long run, an RL circuit will reach its steady-state behavior, where the current and voltage will no longer change over time. At this point, the inductor acts as an open circuit and the current will only flow through the resistor.