1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RL circuits and unit step functions

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1149/70833278.jpg [Broken]

Now this is a part of the solution that was given I was having difficulty understanding.

3. The attempt at a solution

i(0) = 0 - understood

u(t -1) for 0 < t < 1 = 0

I can understand why the voltage from this source would be zero for that time period.

For any time t > 0 -> u(t) = 1, so V = 1

1) By i(∞) do they mean for the 0 < t < 1 period? So current just before t = 1? If so,

a) How is i(∞) = [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex]? There's also a 3Ω resistor in there, why is that being ignored? Is it because for i(∞), the inductor is considered to be acting like a short-circuit thereby implying the current has to flow through 6Ω resistor, but ignores the 3Ω due to the path of least resistance?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

i(∞) should be i after a long time, when currents and voltages have stabilized at steady state values.

I can't see why they say i(∞) = [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex].

Can't see a reason.

If the source on the right was of opposite polarity, then i would settle out at [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex].

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  4. Mar 19, 2012 #3
    Perhaps I should have posted the entire solution, although I was struggling to get the concept behind the first part, here it is in its entirety:

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1149/70833278.jpg [Broken]
    http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6140/33110861.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Mar 19, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

So they are saying if you were to sketch the current, i(t), then at time 0 current is 0 and while t<1 the current is an exponential that, left alone, would level off at 1/6 A. However, that behaviour continues only until t=1, at which case the other unit step is applied and causes i(t) to now head on an exponential decay towards a final value of ½ A.

6. Mar 19, 2012 #5
    Hmm yea that makes sense, I think I just got confused as to what they meant about i(∞), but it's clear now.

So does this mean the current through the inductor is [itex]\frac{1}{6}[/itex] because that 3Ω resistor is not considered because that inductor is now acting like a short-circuit at i(∞)?

7. Mar 19, 2012 #6

NascentOxygen

During 0<t<1 the 3Ω is not part of the calculation of the final current because the inductor is a short-circuit at t(∞) so shorts out the 3Ω so that none of the current from the 6Ω will pass through the 3Ω. Then at t=1, u(t-1) kicks in and changes the final value that i is headed towards. The inductor still acts like a short circuit at t=∞ but now there are two components of current passing through it.

8. Mar 19, 2012 #7
    Awesome, just wanted to make sure my reasoning was correct, thanks for that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook