Robot Design: Shoulder Joint for 540N of Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a robot with a moveable base and a basic moving arm, and the need for a shoulder joint that can provide enough force to lift a weight of 50kg/110lb. The feasibility of using a copper pipe as a structural material is questioned and alternatives are suggested. The discussion also touches upon the specific design requirements for the shoulder joint.
beatlemaniacj
I am making a robot that entails a moveable base and a basic moving arm. I have made a force diagram using a 50kg, 110lb weight 9the maximum intended load. Doing the math (some of it I rounded) I would need at least 540 N of force to raise the weight. How could I design a shoulder joint in such a way that It would provide the necessary force to lift the weight.

Attachments

• robot force diagram.jpg
    robot force diagram.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 495
Engineering news on Phys.org
Its not clear what you means when you say that you want the shoulder joint to lift the load. Do you want the joint to pivot, and raise the load like a human shoulder? Or do you simply want a rigid right angle should so that the load rises if the the column is raised?

By the way, copper pipe is not a good structural material -- too weak.

A shoulder pivot that moves in an angular up/down fashion (when at rest 90° venturing up or down) the main beam (perpendicular to the movable arm) rotating to allow for a wide rang of motion. How do I create the moveable joint itself? And what building material?

1. What is a shoulder joint in robot design?

A shoulder joint in robot design is a mechanism that allows for the movement of the robot's arm, similar to the way a human shoulder allows for arm movement. It is a crucial component in creating a functional and versatile robot that can perform a variety of tasks.

2. How much force should a shoulder joint be able to withstand?

A shoulder joint in robot design should be able to withstand at least 540N of force. This is a common standard in the industry and is necessary for the robot to perform tasks that require strength and precision.

3. How is the force capacity of a shoulder joint determined?

The force capacity of a shoulder joint is determined by the materials used in its construction and the design of the joint itself. Engineers and designers carefully calculate and test the joint to ensure it can withstand the desired force without breaking or malfunctioning.

4. What are some common materials used in creating a shoulder joint for 540N of force?

Common materials used in creating a shoulder joint for 540N of force include metals such as steel, aluminum, and titanium. These materials are known for their strength and durability, making them suitable for use in high-force applications.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when designing a shoulder joint for 540N of force?

Yes, besides the materials used, other factors to consider when designing a shoulder joint for 540N of force include the size and weight of the joint, as well as the type of actuator or motor that will be used to power the joint's movement. These factors can affect the overall performance and efficiency of the robot's arm.