1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roc Identification

1. Jul 12, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I saw a division in a rock identification chart given to me by a lecturer.It says, Rock made of particle or crystals.I was wondering wat is different in both of these two and how to distinguish between them and identify them

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    As for my knowledge, particle is an individual piece which integrates with others into a rock and crystal is a proper arrangement structural elements which is spread around forming rock.How do we see and distinguish between them.The identification is visual and things which could be used was an acid only to check whether it fizess with it or not.

Help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How would you define 'crystal' from a visual analysis? What might a 'fizzing' reaction imply for any given rock?

4. Jul 30, 2007 #3
    As crystal is arrangement of atoms in proper way therefore it could be identified as a seperate unit cell that makes up the rock whereas, partilcles wouild be almost undistinguishable. Fizzing action helps in visually describing a rock type by using flow chart.any links to rock identification sites.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?