Rocket fuel efficiency and payload capacity rule of thumb

In summary, the rule of thumb states that for every ten-percent increase in efficiency for rocket fuel, the payload of the rocket can double. This is based on the formula v_f = v_i + v_p ln\left(\frac{m_i}{m_f}\right), and the specific impulse (ISP) per mass of propellant. The effect on the payload will depend on the number of stages and the specific impulse of the fuel used. For example, a 10% increase in efficiency could result in a 100% increase in payload. This applies to single-stage rockets and does not take into account the complexities of multi-stage rockets.
jonesclai
"A rule of thumb is that for every ten-percent increase in efficiency for rocket fuel, the payload of the rocket can double.”

Can someone assist me with a simple formula to model this rule-of-thumb?
What happens to the payload if the rocket fuel efficiency increases twenty to thirty percent?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "efficiency" of the rocket fuel.

At any rate, what you are going to be looking for is rocket formula.

[tex]v_f = v_i + v_p ln\left(\frac{m_i}{m_f}\right)[/tex]

This applies to a single stage. mi is the total mass of the rocket when the stage engages, and mf is the total mass right before the stage separates, or the final weight if this is the final stage or single stage rocket. Both of these include payload.

vp is the effective exhaust velocity. It is also the specific impulse (ISP) per mass of propellant. If specific impulse is given per weight of propellant (s-1 units), you have to divide it by 9.8m/s² to get the effective exhaust velocity.

10% increase in efficiency might mean a 10% increase in vp. Or it can mean a 10% increase in fraction of kinetic energy that goes into exhaust, in which case, you are only looking at 5% increase in vp. Or it could be something entirely different.

The effect on the payload will depend on the number of stages, the mass of the rocket itself, and on the specific impulse you started out with.

For insertion at LEO, the rocket needs to achieve approximately 9km/s, including losses to gravity and drag. A good fuel, like cryogenic H2 with O2 oxidizer, with good engine will have ISP of a little over 3km/s. So the mi/mf is roughly exp(3), or around 20. Because of the engines, tanks, and all the other heavy junk you need for rocket to fly, payload fraction ends up closer to 1:100. In other words, only about 20% of the mass that's being lifted is in the payload. This is neglecting all the complexity of the rocket actually being multi-stage, but it is good for an estimate.

Suppose I increased vp by 10%. The ratio goes down from 20 to 15. Assuming that the weight of the rocket itself did not have to be increased, all this goes into payload. So if before for every unit of payload, you needed 4 units of rocket mass and 95 units of fuel, now the same 95 units of fuel will lift 5.8 units, of which 4 are still the rocket, and you end up with 1.8 units of payload.

This is very close to doubling the payload that the rule of thumb suggests, so I suspect that this is what it is all about. Hopefully, you can follow all this logic to see what would happen with 20% and 30% increase.

1. What is the rule of thumb for determining rocket fuel efficiency?

The general rule of thumb for determining rocket fuel efficiency is the specific impulse (Isp) of the rocket engine. This is a measure of how efficiently the engine uses its fuel to produce thrust. The higher the Isp, the more efficient the engine is in converting fuel into thrust.

2. How does the payload capacity affect rocket fuel efficiency?

The payload capacity of a rocket refers to the maximum weight it can carry into space. In general, the larger the payload, the more fuel is needed to lift it into orbit. This means that a rocket with a higher payload capacity will typically have lower fuel efficiency compared to one with a lower payload capacity.

3. What factors can influence the rule of thumb for rocket fuel efficiency?

There are several factors that can influence the rule of thumb for rocket fuel efficiency, including the design of the rocket engine, the type and quality of fuel used, and external environmental factors such as air resistance. The type of mission the rocket is designed for can also affect its fuel efficiency.

4. Why is rocket fuel efficiency important?

Rocket fuel efficiency is important because it directly affects the cost and success of a space mission. A more efficient rocket requires less fuel to achieve the same goal, reducing the cost and increasing the chances of a successful launch. It also allows for larger payloads and longer missions.

5. How do scientists measure rocket fuel efficiency?

Scientists measure rocket fuel efficiency by calculating the specific impulse (Isp) of a rocket engine. This can be done through testing and simulation, taking into account factors such as the type of fuel used and the design of the engine. Another measure is the payload-to-weight ratio, which compares the weight of the rocket and its payload to the amount of fuel needed for the mission.