Rocket Momentum: Help with Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to conservation of energy and momentum. In the first question, the correct answer is conservation of momentum, while in the second question, the correct answer is conservation of momentum but not energy. The conversation also includes an explanation of elastic and inelastic collisions and how they relate to the conservation of energy and momentum.
allstar1
Hi, I need help witht these 2 questions. My answers have *********** next to them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1. A rocket is propelled forward by ejecting gas at high speed. The forward motion is a consequence of
Choices:
a) conservation of energy.
b) conservation of momentum. ***********
c) both of the above.
d) neither of the above.

2. In an inelastic collision
Choices:
a) both energy and momentum are conserved.
b) energy is conserved.
c) momentum is conserved. ***********
d) neither is conserved.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is conserved in all such reactions.

Energy is also conserved (ignoring mass energy conversions). However, not all of it may go into motion of the objects of interest. Some of it ends up as heat or energy of deformation.

For question 2, this might help:

When objects collide momentum is always conserved so long as no external forces act on the objects.

An elastic collision means that the total kinetic energy before and after the collision is the same. A perfectly elastic collision can only occur between molecules or smaller particles because a collision between larger objects (such as vehicles) results in heating of the objects and their surroundings, thus an overall loss of kinetic energy. A significant loss of kinetic energy means that the collision is inelastic, however if the loss of kinetic energy is very small you can sometimes treat the collision as elastic to make calculations easier.

For question 1:

From the previous explanation because a rocket is so large there will be an overall loss of energy to the surroundings as heat, sound and light. Therefore energy can't be conserved, so it can't be both of the above. The reason momentum is conserved is because the mass*velocity of the gass being ejected is equal to the mass*velocity of the rocket moving forwards.

I hope this helps, and if any of this is wrong please correct me.

sanitykey said:
For question 2, this might help:
When objects collide momentum is always conserved so long as no external forces act on the objects.
An elastic collision means that the total kinetic energy before and after the collision is the same. A perfectly elastic collision can only occur between molecules or smaller particles because a collision between larger objects (such as vehicles) results in heating of the objects and their surroundings, thus an overall loss of kinetic energy. A significant loss of kinetic energy means that the collision is inelastic, however if the loss of kinetic energy is very small you can sometimes treat the collision as elastic to make calculations easier.
For question 1:
From the previous explanation because a rocket is so large there will be an overall loss of energy to the surroundings as heat, sound and light. Therefore energy can't be conserved, so it can't be both of the above. The reason momentum is conserved is because the mass*velocity of the gass being ejected is equal to the mass*velocity of the rocket moving forwards.
I hope this helps, and if any of this is wrong please correct me.

i agree with you. on question 1 and believe that only momentum is conserved. As for question 2, since it asks for inelastic collisions, i guess we have to assume that kinetic energy is not conserved at all.

Related to Rocket Momentum: Help with Questions

1. What is rocket momentum?

Rocket momentum refers to the amount of motion and force that a rocket possesses due to its mass and velocity. It is a measure of the rocket's ability to move through space and overcome the forces of gravity.

2. How is rocket momentum calculated?

Rocket momentum is calculated by multiplying the rocket's mass by its velocity. The equation for rocket momentum is: p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What factors affect rocket momentum?

The two main factors that affect rocket momentum are the mass of the rocket and its velocity. A larger mass or a higher velocity will result in a greater rocket momentum. Other factors that can affect rocket momentum include air resistance, gravity, and external forces such as thrust.

4. What is the principle of conservation of momentum in rockets?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a rocket, this means that the total momentum of the rocket and its propellant must remain constant throughout the flight, as no external forces are acting upon the system once it is launched.

5. Why is understanding rocket momentum important?

Understanding rocket momentum is important for designing and launching rockets, as it is a crucial factor in determining the rocket's trajectory and performance. By understanding and calculating rocket momentum, scientists and engineers can make informed decisions about the design and operation of rockets, ensuring their successful launch and journey through space.