How is Rest Mass Affected in the Process of Rocket Propulsion?

In summary, the conversation discusses a rocket that propels itself by giving portions of its mass a constant backward speed relative to its instantaneous rest frame. The first question asks if rest mass is conserved in this process, to which the answer is no due to loss of kinetic energy. The conversation then moves on to show that the ratio of initial to final rest mass can be calculated using the formula (m0,i/ m0,f)= (c + uf)/( c − uf)c/2vout. The final part of the conversation discusses how to find u and u', and suggests using the velocity addition formula, although it is not clear how to define rest mass in this context.
SHawking01

Homework Statement

A rocket, initially at rest, propels itself in a straight line by giving portions of its mass a constant (backward) speed vout relative to its instantaneous rest frame. (a) Is rest mass conserved in this process? (b) Show that m0du′ = −dm0 vout, where m0 is the rocket’s rest mass and du′ is the change in the rocket’s speed (in its instantaneous rest frame) when its rest mass changes by dm0. (c) Show that m0 du/dm0 = −(1 − u 2/c2) vout, where u is the speed of the rocket in its initial rest frame. (d) Suppose the rocket reaches speed uf relative to its initial rest frame. Show that the ratio of its initial to final rest mass is given by (m0,i/ m0,f)= (c + uf)/( c − uf)c/2vout

Homework Equations

Velocity addition formula: u= u'+v/(1+vu'/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)Rest mass is not conserved due to loss of kinetic energy.
b) m0c2=γ(vout)d\tilde{\m}c2+ γ(du')(m0+dm0)c2
0=γ(du')(m0+dm0)du'-γ(vout)d\tilde{\m}vout
γ(du')=1/√1-(du')2/c2 by the binomial approximation is ≈1.
m0du'=γ(vout)d\tilde{\m}vout
m0du'=-dm0vout
m0/dm0=-vout/du'
c) vout=m0du'/-dm0
I know I have to use the velocity addition formula. How do I find u and u'?

Physics news on Phys.org
SHawking01 said:
Rest mass is not conserved due to loss of kinetic energy.
Where is kinetic energy lost?
How do you define (total?) rest mass in the first place?

For (c), I don't think you need velocity addition, the transformation between u' and u (but I don't understand how exactly they are defined) could give the gamma factor without it.

Related to How is Rest Mass Affected in the Process of Rocket Propulsion?

1. What is special relativity and how does it relate to rockets?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes how the laws of physics behave in inertial frames of reference. This theory is important in the study of rockets because it explains how objects move at high speeds, such as those reached by rockets.

2. How does special relativity affect the perception of time and space for astronauts on a rocket?

According to special relativity, time and space are relative and can appear to be different for observers in different frames of reference. This means that time can appear to pass slower and distances can appear to be shorter for astronauts on a rocket traveling at high speeds compared to someone on Earth.

3. How does special relativity impact the speed of a rocket?

Special relativity states that the speed of light is constant and is the maximum speed that any object can travel in the universe. This means that as a rocket approaches the speed of light, time and space will appear to be distorted, making it difficult to achieve speeds beyond this limit.

4. Can special relativity explain the concept of time dilation on a rocket?

Yes, special relativity can explain time dilation, which is the phenomenon where time appears to pass slower for an object in motion compared to one at rest. This is due to the distortion of time and space at high speeds, as predicted by the theory.

5. Are there any practical applications of special relativity in rocket science?

Yes, special relativity has many practical applications in rocket science. For example, it is important for calculating the trajectories and velocities of rockets, as well as understanding the effects of time dilation on GPS satellites. Without special relativity, our understanding and advancements in rocket science would be limited.