Rocket Specific Impulse vs Jet Engine Specific Impulse

In summary, the specific impulse on a rocket is lower than that on a jet because jets have much larger exhaust velocities. This is due to the fact that rockets carry their own oxidizers, which is included in their specific impulse calculations but not in jet engine calculations. It should be noted that the actual exhaust velocity and effective exhaust velocity for jet engines can differ by orders of magnitude.
Juhannuskokko
I really can't seem to wrap my head around why the specific impulse on a rocket is so much lower than that on a jet. I know a jet engine has a larger supply of oxygen, but I don't see why that has such a huge effect.
I also know exhaust velocity plays a large part, but I would have thought that a rocket has higher-velocity exhaust.

Science news on Phys.org
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_impulse

The bigger part is that jets have much larger exhaust velocities. A small part is that rockets carry their own oxidizers, so the mass includes the oxidizer in rocket specific impulse calculations, but not jet engine specific engine calculations.

Dr. Courtney said:
jets have much larger exhaust velocities

I think you mean effective exhaust velocity, not actual exhaust velocity, correct? As the Wikipedia article you linked to notes, the two can differ for jet engines by orders of magnitude.

What is specific impulse?

Specific impulse (Isp) is a measure of the efficiency of a rocket or jet engine. It is the ratio of thrust produced to the rate of propellant consumption, and is typically measured in seconds.

What is the difference between rocket specific impulse and jet engine specific impulse?

The main difference between rocket specific impulse and jet engine specific impulse is the type of propellant used. Rocket engines use a chemical reaction to produce thrust, while jet engines use the combustion of fuel and air. This leads to differences in the amount of thrust produced and the rate of propellant consumption.

Which has a higher specific impulse, rockets or jet engines?

Rockets typically have a higher specific impulse than jet engines. This is because rockets carry their own oxidizer, while jet engines rely on the oxygen in the air for combustion. This allows rockets to produce more thrust for the same amount of propellant.

How does specific impulse affect the performance of a rocket or jet engine?

A higher specific impulse means that the engine is more efficient, as it can produce more thrust with less propellant. This leads to a longer burn time and higher velocities for rockets, and longer flight times and increased fuel efficiency for jet engines.

Is specific impulse the only factor that determines the performance of a rocket or jet engine?

No, there are other factors that can affect the performance of a rocket or jet engine, such as the design and construction of the engine, the type of propellant used, and external factors like air resistance. However, specific impulse is an important factor in determining the overall efficiency and performance of the engine.