Rocket's Flight: Analyzing Height and Velocity

In summary, the rocket travels approximately 39,528.47 feet in the first 50 seconds of its flight, with an average velocity of approximately 790.57 ft/s. Its average velocity during the first 125 feet is approximately 17.03 ft/s. The rocket's thrust increases from 1 g to 2 g within the first 17 seconds of its flight.
Jimbo57

Homework Statement

During the first 50 s of a rocket's flight, the rocket is propelled straight up, so that in t seconds its height s is s(t) = t^3/sqrt 10 ft.

a) How high does the rocket travel in 50 s?
b) What is the average velocity of the rocket during the first 50 s?
c)What is the average velocity of the rocket during the first 125 ft?

Homework Equations

s(t) = t^3/sqrt 10 ft
v(t) = 3t^2/sqrt 10

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Pretty straightforward: s(50)= 50^3/sqrt 10
= 125000/sqrt10
≈39,528.47 ft
b) average velocity = distance traveled/time elapsed
= 39528.47/50
≈790.57ft/s (I have a feeling this may be wrong)
c) 125ft=t^3/sqrt10
t=cbrt125*sqrt10
= 7.34s

Average = 125ft/7.34s
= 17.03ft/s (I also think this may be wrong)

If I was an error, where would I be? I feel like a rocket traveling at 17ft/s after 7 seconds may be a tad on the low side.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump! Any takers?

The calculations look good to me.

Since this rocket accelerates straight up with an acceleration of a = 6t/sqrt(10) the thrust of the rocket must be a + 1g, than is, a thrust of 1 g at t = 0 which slowly builds up to 2 g after 17 seconds. You are correct that this is "a tad on the low side" and that a real rocket would be designed to have an initial acceleration a good amount larger than 1 g.

Looking at this in terms of acceleration put things into perspective to me, and made my calculations look more reasonable. Thanks Filip!

Jimbo57 said:
Bump! Any takers?
Your work looks good.

You should be aware that the rules of this Forum require you to wait 24 hours before bumping. I see you did wait about half that. ... not too bad, but ...

My apologies Sammy, I have to admit that I haven't read any of the rules :( Won't happen again!

1. How does the height of a rocket affect its velocity?

The height of a rocket does not directly affect its velocity. However, as the rocket gains height, it experiences a decrease in air resistance which leads to an increase in velocity. This is due to the fact that there is less air pushing against the rocket as it travels higher in the atmosphere.

2. Can the velocity of a rocket surpass the speed of sound?

Yes, the velocity of a rocket can surpass the speed of sound. In fact, most rockets reach speeds well above the speed of sound during their journey. For example, the Saturn V rocket used in the Apollo missions had a top speed of over 24,000 miles per hour, which is more than 30 times the speed of sound.

3. How does the weight of a rocket affect its flight?

The weight of a rocket does play a significant role in its flight. A heavier rocket will require more thrust to overcome gravity and achieve liftoff. Additionally, a heavier rocket will also experience more drag as it travels through the atmosphere, which can affect its speed and trajectory.

4. What factors can cause a rocket to lose height during flight?

There are several factors that can cause a rocket to lose height during flight. These include air resistance, gravity, and any external forces acting on the rocket, such as wind. Additionally, if the rocket runs out of fuel or experiences a malfunction, it may also lose height.

5. How is the height and velocity of a rocket measured during flight?

The height and velocity of a rocket can be measured using various instruments and technologies. These can include radar, GPS tracking, and onboard sensors. Scientists and engineers also use mathematical models and simulations to calculate and predict the height and velocity of a rocket during flight.