Rodmechanism relative movements problem

• Thread starter wouterbeke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, A moves at a constant speed of 4.5 m/s (relative to the rotating coordinate system) and C moves at a speed of 6 m/s.
wouterbeke

Homework Statement

g73rnWh.png

The rods are hengedly connected. O is fixed, C is free to move in the x-direction and AB is parallel to OC. OA turns around O with an angular velocity of ##\omega##.

further given: $$\theta = 30^{\circ}$$ $$|OA|=|BC|=l_1=0.30m$$ $$|AB|=l_2=0.40m$$ $$\omega=15rad/s$$ $$v_c = 6 m/s$$
Question: Find ##v_{B}##.

Homework Equations

$$v_{B,\text{abs}} = v_{B,\text{sleep}} + v_{B,\text{rel}}$$ $$v_{B,\text{sleep}} = v_{0'} + \omega '\cdot |OB| = v_A = \omega\cdot l_1$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I define a non-rotating coordinate system o'x'y' that is fixed in point A.
k5eCsg7.png

$$v_{B,\text{abs,x}} = -v_{B,\text{tan}}\cos{\beta} + v_c = v_{B,\text{sleep}}\cos{\beta}$$ $$v_{B,\text{abs,y}} = v_{B,\text{tan}}\sin{\beta} = -v_{B,\text{rel}} - v_{B,\text{sleep}}\sin{\beta}$$ $$v_{B,\text{sleep}}=\frac{-\omega l_1\cos{\beta}+v_c}{\cos{\beta}}=7.5m/s$$ I think this is incorrect. $$v_{B,\text{rel}}=-v_{B,\text{tan}}\sin{\beta}-v_{B,\text{sleep}}\sin{\beta}$$ This can't be correct, because this is a negative number and I know from the solution that ##\omega_{BC} = \omega_{OA}## so, I believe, the velocity of B relative to o'x'y' should work out to zero.

What am I doing wrong?

(extra) written version: http://i.imgur.com/WAeCf8L.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, wouterbeke. Welcome to the forum!

It appears to me that your ##\vec{v}_{B,tan}## is the velocity of B relative to C. So, ##\vec{v}_{B,tan}## is perpendicular to rod BC (rather than "tangent").

Shouldn't the y-component of ##\vec{v}_{B,tan}## be negative? See your drawing of the vectors at B. You have written the y-component as positive.

wouterbeke said:
The rods are hengedly connected. O is fixed, C is free to move in the x-direction and AB is parallel to OC. OA turns around O with an angular velocity of ##\omega##.

further given: $$\theta = 30^{\circ}$$ $$|OA|=|BC|=l_1=0.30m$$ $$|AB|=l_2=0.40m$$ $$\omega=15rad/s$$ $$v_c = 6 m/s$$
Question: Find ##v_{B}##.
I must be misunderstanding something - it seems to be overspecified (and contradictory).
If AB is held parallel to OC then the length of AB is irrelevant for most purposes. A moves at speed 15*0.3 = 4.5m/s. Its horizontal component should be half that, and C's speed should be double that, so also 4.5m/s. Should it say OA=BC=0.40m?

haruspex said:
I must be misunderstanding something - it seems to be overspecified (and contradictory).
If AB is held parallel to OC then the length of AB is irrelevant for most purposes. A moves at speed 15*0.3 = 4.5m/s. Its horizontal component should be half that, and C's speed should be double that, so also 4.5m/s.

I agree that the horizontal component of velocity of A is 2.25 m/s, but I don't see how to get that C's speed should be 4.5 m/s. The horizontal rod AB is rotating.

I get an answer that I believe is consistent with the given data, but I don't get that rods OA and BC have the same angular speed as stated by the OP.

Last edited:
TSny said:
The horizontal rod AB is rotating.
OK, I see - it's only transiently parallel to OC. Thought I must have had something wrong.

Related to Rodmechanism relative movements problem

1. What is a rod mechanism?

A rod mechanism is a type of mechanical system that uses interconnected rods and joints to transmit motion and force between different parts of a machine or mechanism.

2. What is a relative movement problem in rod mechanisms?

A relative movement problem in rod mechanisms refers to the challenge of designing and optimizing the movement and positioning of the rods and joints in order to achieve a specific desired motion or function. It involves calculating the relative movements and positions of the various parts of the mechanism and ensuring that they work together smoothly and efficiently.

3. What factors affect the relative movement problem in rod mechanisms?

There are several factors that can affect the relative movement problem in rod mechanisms, including the length and orientation of the rods, the number and placement of joints, the type of motion desired, and any external forces or constraints acting on the mechanism. Additionally, the design and arrangement of the rods and joints can also impact the efficiency and accuracy of the relative movements.

4. How do scientists and engineers solve the relative movement problem in rod mechanisms?

Scientists and engineers use a combination of analytical calculations, computer simulations, and physical prototyping to solve the relative movement problem in rod mechanisms. They use mathematical equations and principles to determine the ideal lengths and angles of the rods and joints, and then test and refine their designs through simulations and physical experiments.

5. What are some real-world applications of rod mechanisms and their relative movement problem?

Rod mechanisms are commonly used in a variety of machines and systems, including engines, pumps, steering mechanisms, and robotic arms. The relative movement problem is particularly important in these applications, as precise and efficient movement is crucial for their proper functioning. Additionally, the principles and techniques used to solve the relative movement problem in rod mechanisms can also be applied to other types of mechanical systems and structures.