Role of eigenvalues in phase portraits

In summary, the role of real/imaginary eigenvalues in the study of dynamical systems is to determine the stability of fixed points. The important factor is the sign of the real part, not whether the eigenvalues are real or complex. There is a classification system for fixed points in 2D dynamical systems based on the trace and determinant of the linearization.
bhatiaharsh
Hi,

In the study of dynamical systems, phase portraits play an important role. However, in almost all related text, I only see some standard examples like prey-predator, pendulum etc. I have a rather unclear thought in my head regarding the role of real/imaginary eigenvalues in the system. What role do they play with respect to the system dynamics ? Are there any physical systems that you know of, which only deal with either real or imaginary eigenvalues ? Or any practical cases where one would "want" to deal with anyone of those ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Euler's formula [itex]e^{it}=\cos{t }+ i \sin{t}[/itex].
So if the eigenvalue is a complex number, the solution will have sinusoidal functions I think.

bhatiaharsh said:
Hi,

In the study of dynamical systems, phase portraits play an important role. However, in almost all related text, I only see some standard examples like prey-predator, pendulum etc. I have a rather unclear thought in my head regarding the role of real/imaginary eigenvalues in the system. What role do they play with respect to the system dynamics ?

The eigenvalues of the linearization of an ODE about a fixed point determine the stability of the fixed point. The important factor is not whether the eigenvalues are real or complex, but whether the real part of an eigenvalue is positive (unstable direction), negative (stable direction) or zero (indeterminate at linear order).

http://www.augustana.uAlberta.ca/~hackw/mat332/exhibit/fxdpt2d.html gives a classification of fixed points (other than degenerate cases) in 2D dynamical systems according to the trace and determinant of the linearization. Bear in mind that for a 2x2 matrix [itex]M[/itex] with eigenvalues [itex]\lambda_1[/itex], [itex]\lambda_2[/itex],
[tex]
\mathrm{Tr}\,M = \lambda_1 + \lambda_2,\quad \det M = \lambda_1 \lambda_2.
[/tex]

1. What are eigenvalues and why are they important in phase portraits?

Eigenvalues are a concept in linear algebra that describe the behavior of a matrix or a transformation. In phase portraits, eigenvalues indicate the stability or instability of a system, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of a system over time.

2. How do eigenvalues affect the shape of a phase portrait?

The eigenvalues of a system determine the type of equilibrium points in the phase portrait. For example, real and distinct eigenvalues result in saddle points, while complex conjugate eigenvalues result in spiral points. This information is important in understanding the dynamics of a system.

3. Can we determine the stability of a system solely based on the eigenvalues?

Yes, the stability of a system can be determined by the sign of the real part of the eigenvalues. A positive real part indicates instability, while a negative real part indicates stability. Additionally, the magnitude of the eigenvalues also provides information about the rate of convergence or divergence.

4. How are eigenvalues used in phase portraits to predict the behavior of a system?

Eigenvalues are used to determine the type of equilibrium points in the phase portrait, which in turn, provides information about the long-term behavior of a system. By analyzing the eigenvalues, we can predict whether a system will reach a stable equilibrium or exhibit oscillatory or chaotic behavior.

5. Can we change the behavior of a system by manipulating its eigenvalues?

Yes, the behavior of a system can be altered by changing the values of the eigenvalues. This can be achieved by manipulating the parameters of the system or by applying external forces. By doing so, we can control the stability or instability of a system and potentially change its behavior.