Roller coaster and Potential Energy

In summary, the roller coaster-Earth system has a potential energy of 850640 Joules at point A and a potential energy of 1000 kg at point B.
scurry18

Homework Statement

A 1000 kg roller coaser train is intially at the top of a rise, at point A. It then moves 135 ft, at an angle of 40 degrees below the horizontal, to a lower point B.
Choose the train at point B to be the zero configuration for gravitational potential energy. Find the potential energy of the roller coaster-Earth system at points A and B, and the change in potential energy as the coaster moves.

Homework Equations

Ug=mgy

The Attempt at a Solution

Y at Point A=86.8 m
Ug= 850640 Kj

This isn't the right answer, so where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your units. Kj = 1000 Joules.

That still does not give me the right answer even if I divide by 1000.

Actually, if you'll allow me to nitpick a bit:
The unit is Joules (J), the prefix k(ilo) is written in lower case; therefore kilojoule is abbreviated kJ instead of Kj.

My bad! Either way, I don't get the right answer though :)

scurry18 said:
My bad! Either way, I don't get the right answer though :)
When you input your answer, do you also input your units? (No need to divide by 1000. The kJ was a mistake on your part.)

The problem asked for three answers. Did you input them all?

135 ft is not 86 m. More like 45m. Try to convert properly.
Good Luck

nasu said:
135 ft is not 86 m. More like 45m. Try to convert properly.
He wasn't converting, he was finding the vertical component. (He should have converted first.)

Good catch though: The distance was given in feet, not meters. D'oh! :uhh:

A, sorry. 86 is 135*Sin(40). I did not think about this.

Then this is the mistake (besides the units).
You don't need to do this (find component). 135 ft is the height, if I read the problem right. The angle doesn't matter.

nasu said:
You don't need to do this (find component). 135 ft is the height, if I read the problem right. The angle doesn't matter.
That's not the way I read it.
scurry18 said:
It then moves 135 ft, at an angle of 40 degrees below the horizontal, to a lower point B.
That sounds like it moved 135 ft at an angle of 40 degrees below the horizontal.

We'll find out soon enough when the OP corrects the feet vs. meters error. :wink:

Doc Al said:
That's not the way I read it.

That sounds like it moved 135 ft at an angle of 40 degrees below the horizontal.

We'll find out soon enough when the OP corrects the feet vs. meters error. :wink:

Yes, you are right. I did not focus enough...

1. How does potential energy affect a roller coaster?

Potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or state. In a roller coaster, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the car moves downhill, and back into potential energy as the car moves uphill. This conversion of energy creates the thrilling and dynamic experience of a roller coaster ride.

2. How is potential energy calculated in a roller coaster?

The potential energy of a roller coaster is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the roller coaster car, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the roller coaster track. This formula takes into account the gravitational pull on the car and the height at which it is located.

3. How does potential energy affect the speed of a roller coaster?

Potential energy and speed are inversely related in a roller coaster. As the roller coaster car moves downhill, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the car to accelerate and increase its speed. As the car moves uphill, the potential energy increases and the speed decreases. This is why roller coasters typically have their highest speeds at the bottom of a hill and their slowest speeds at the top.

4. Can potential energy be changed on a roller coaster?

Yes, potential energy can be changed on a roller coaster. The potential energy of a roller coaster can be altered by changing the mass of the car, the height of the track, or the acceleration due to gravity. For example, a roller coaster with a heavier car or a taller track will have a higher potential energy than one with a lighter car or a lower track.

5. How does potential energy contribute to the safety of a roller coaster?

Potential energy plays a crucial role in the safety of a roller coaster. Before each ride, the roller coaster is designed and tested to ensure that the potential energy at the top of each hill is enough to safely carry the car to the next hill. This ensures that the car will not lose momentum and come to a stop mid-ride. Additionally, potential energy also helps to control the speed of the car, preventing it from reaching dangerous or unsafe speeds.