1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roller Coaster Physics

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    I am doing an analysis on an actual roller coaster and have Altitude graphs as well as Y and Z acceleration graphs. I am just having trouble with a few things:

With the altitude graph (height vs. time), there is a bit with an incline. Is it possible to find the velocity (it is uniform velocity) that the train is traveling at?
    I did a linear fit on the incline to find velocity and I just realized later that it only accounts for the Y component of the velocity.

Is it also possible to find the angle of inclination using an altitude graph? If so, could someone give me a few hints because my method of finding the height difference, the distance across using d = vs after the velocity is found and then using Pythagoras and Trigonometry to find it out seems flawed.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted