Deriving Roller Coaster Speed Equations at Bottom of Slope

In summary, the problem involves a roller coaster at the top of a slope with given lengths of h = 53m, D = 65m, and L = 43m. The task is to derive equations for the speed v1 when the first car reaches the bottom and v2 when the last car reaches the bottom, as well as finding the ratio v1/v2. The solution involves treating the roller coaster as a point particle and using energy equations. The first attempt involves finding the velocity at the bottom using v=(2gh)^1/2 and then determining the ratio by finding the distance traveled by the front and back of the roller coaster.
kraigandrews

Homework Statement

A roller coaster is at the top of a slope moving very slowly. There are three lengths in this problem: h = 53 m is the height of the hill; D = 65 m is the length of the hill; L = 43 m is the length of the coaster. Derive an equation for the speed v1 when the first car reaches the bottom of the slope. (The hill has constant slope.) Derive an equation for the speed v2 when the last car reaches the bottom. What is the ratio v1/v2?

Homework Equations

all energy equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I don't really know where to start. I know how to solve this to find the velocity at the bottom of the hill if it were considered a point particle, but not for the things that the question is asking. So any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Treat the roller coaster as a point particle situated at the center of mass.

kraigandrews said:
To be honest I don't really know where to start. I know how to solve this to find the velocity at the bottom of the hill if it were considered a point particle, but not for the things that the question is asking. So any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
You should really give some kind of attempt before asking for help. They are quite strict about that here.

sorry, here is what i have so far:
if we are to treat it as a point particle moving down the hill at the bottom it will have v=(2gh)^1/2, now from there my next idea was to find how far the front would travel in relation to back then find the ratio.

Where is the point mass when the front of the roller coaster reaches bottom?

1. What is the average speed of a roller coaster?

The average speed of a roller coaster can vary greatly depending on the specific ride. However, most roller coasters have an average speed of around 50-70 miles per hour.

2. How is the speed of a roller coaster calculated?

The speed of a roller coaster is calculated using the formula: speed = distance/time. This can be further broken down into the initial velocity, acceleration, and time traveled components.

3. What factors affect the speed of a roller coaster?

The speed of a roller coaster can be affected by several factors including the design of the track, the weight of the train, the amount of friction between the wheels and the track, and any outside forces such as wind or gravity.

4. Can a roller coaster go faster than its initial drop?

Yes, a roller coaster can go faster than its initial drop due to the force of gravity and the design of the track. As the coaster travels down the drop, it gains potential energy which is then converted into kinetic energy, allowing it to reach higher speeds.

5. How do engineers ensure the safety of riders at high speeds on a roller coaster?

Engineers use various safety measures such as lap bars, seat belts, and harnesses to keep riders safely secured in their seats. They also carefully design the track to ensure that the forces acting on the riders are within safe limits at all times.