Roller Coaster Physics: Calculating Energy, Speed, and Force

In summary, Jessie, who weighs 56.2 kg, is traveling at a speed of 12.8 m/s at the top of a 19.5-m high roller coaster loop. Assuming negligible energy losses, her total mechanical energy at the bottom of the loop is 1.53 x 104 J, and her speed is 23.4 m/s. The force she feels from her seat at the bottom of the loop is 3707N, calculated using F=ma and the correct radius of the loop.
Schaus

Homework Statement

Jessie (m=56.2 kg) is traveling at a speed of 12.8 m/s at the top of a 19.5-m high roller coaster loop.

a) Assuming negligible losses of energy due to friction and air resistance, determine Jessie's total mechanical energy at the bottom of the loop (h=0 m). (ans: 1.53 x 104 J)
b) Determine Jessie's speed at the bottom of the loop. (ans: 23.4 m/s)
c)What force does Jessie feel from her seat at the bottom of the loop? (ans: 3707N)

Homework Equations

F=ma
ac=v2/r
mgh
1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out a) with mgh+1/2mv2=Efinal.
I figured out b) with using energy from a) 1.53 x 104= 1/2mv2
But I can't figure out c).
I tried using ac=23.42/19.5m to find my acceleration then multiply the mass but the number isn't close to the weight I need.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you used the diameter, as opposed to the radius.

Likes Schaus
2nd law: Fnet = ma. Note the "net" here.

Think again about what the radius of the loop is.

Thanks! I totally missed that one and now my answer works!

Likes TomHart

What is a roller coaster?

A roller coaster is a type of amusement ride that features a track with steep drops, sharp turns, and other intense elements designed to thrill riders.

How do roller coasters work?

Roller coasters use a combination of gravity, potential and kinetic energy, and specialized mechanisms such as chains and motors to propel the train along the track and create thrilling sensations for riders.

How safe are roller coasters?

Roller coasters are designed and regulated to be safe for riders. They undergo rigorous testing and inspection before opening to the public, and are constantly maintained and monitored for safety.

What is the tallest/ fastest/ longest roller coaster?

The tallest roller coaster is currently Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure, standing at 456 feet tall. The fastest roller coaster is Formula Rossa at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi, with a top speed of 149 mph. The longest roller coaster is Steel Dragon 2000 at Nagashima Spa Land in Japan, measuring at 8,133 feet.

What are the benefits of riding roller coasters?

Riding roller coasters can provide a sense of thrill and excitement, as well as a rush of adrenaline. It can also be a social activity and a way to bond with friends and family. Additionally, some studies have shown that riding roller coasters can have positive effects on mental health, such as reducing stress and anxiety.