Maximum Speed for Successful Roller Coaster Hill Climb

In summary: Homework Statement A roller-coaster car has a mass of 1050 kg when fully loaded with passengers. As the car passes over the top of a circular hill of radius 19 m, its speed is not changing. (a) At the top of the hill, what is the normal force (using the negative sign for the downward direction) FN on the car from the track if the car's speed is v = 8.7 m/s? (b) What is FN if v = 18 m/s?In summary, using the given values of mass, radius, and speed, the normal force on the roller-coaster car at the top of the circular hill can be calculated using the equation FN= mg-mv^
shell4987

Homework Statement

A roller-coaster car has a mass of 1050 kg when fully loaded with passengers. As the car passes over the top of a circular hill of radius 19 m, its speed is not changing. (a) At the top of the hill, what is the normal force (using the negative sign for the downward direction) FN on the car from the track if the car's speed is v = 8.7 m/s? (b) What is FN if v = 18 m/s?

Homework Equations

fynet= mg-FN=ma
a= v squared/r

put together: FN= mg-mv squared/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried this problem and put g as -9.8m/s squared and got -14,472.9 for part (a) and used the same gravity again for part (b) and got -28,195.26... i also did use the postive g (+9.8) and got the wrong answers again. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how you got your answers from those equations. (In what direction does the normal force act?)

shell4987 said:
fynet= mg-FN=ma
a= v squared/r

put together: FN= mg-mv squared/r

The equation you derived for the normal force (presumably from a free-body diagram for the car) is correct. However, since you have already taken the directions of the forces along the radius of the circle into account, you don't want to put in (-g) here; you only need to use magnitudes at this point.

Your result for FN should be positive then, since it is a magnitude. However, if the car goes fast enough, FN could drop to zero, meaning that the car is just breaking contact with the rails; if you get a negative answer for the magnitude, that is actually nonsense, but it means the car is going too fast to stay on the hill.

[edit: I've tried this out with the values given. It would be a good idea for you to show your calculation for part (a) to start with.]

Last edited:
Good catch, dynamicsolo! FYI: g just stands for the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity; g = 9.8 m/s^2.

dynamicsolo said:
Your result for FN should be positive then, since it is a magnitude. However, if the car goes fast enough, FN could drop to zero, meaning that the car is just breaking contact with the rails; if you get a negative answer for the magnitude, that is actually nonsense, but it means the car is going too fast to stay on the hill.

[edit: I've tried this out with the values given. It would be a good idea for you to show your calculation for part (a) to start with.]

Thanks for your help... here is what I put in for the values of (a) with the equation FN=mg-m(vsquared/r) FN=1050(9.8)-(1050(8.7)^2/19)... I ended up getting 6107.132 as my answer... I don't know if that sounds correct? Also for part (b) I used the same equation and put FN=1050(9.8)-(1050(18)^2/19) and I ended up getting -7615.26. I feel as if those do not sound right at all? What do you think?

If your calculations are correct then they sound perfect (atleast to dynamicsolo) :)

shell4987 said:
Thanks for your help... here is what I put in for the values of (a) with the equation FN=mg-m(vsquared/r) FN=1050(9.8)-(1050(8.7)^2/19)... I ended up getting 6107.132 as my answer... I don't know if that sounds correct? Also for part (b) I used the same equation and put FN=1050(9.8)-(1050(18)^2/19) and I ended up getting -7615.26. I feel as if those do not sound right at all? What do you think?

The units on those are, of course, Newtons. I get substantially the same results (I used g = 9.81). Your negative result for part (b) tells us that the car would not stay on the rails if it were going that fast (FN cannot be less than zero); instead, it would have flown off the hill before reaching the summit.

A question often asked on exams or homework problems is to find the greatest speed the car could have to still be able to make it over the top without flying off. (That would be when FN at the summit just equals zero.) We now know that the answer is between 8.7 and 18 m/sec. ...

1. How is the speed of a roller coaster calculated?

The speed of a roller coaster is calculated by dividing the distance covered by the time it takes to cover that distance. This is known as the average speed. However, the actual speed of a roller coaster can vary throughout the ride as it accelerates, decelerates, and changes direction.

2. What factors affect the speed of a roller coaster?

The speed of a roller coaster is affected by a variety of factors, including the height and steepness of the hills, the amount of friction between the coaster and the track, and the design of the track itself. Other factors, such as the weight and number of riders, can also impact the speed of the roller coaster.

3. Can a roller coaster go faster than its initial drop?

Yes, a roller coaster can go faster than its initial drop. This is because of the principle of conservation of energy. As the roller coaster descends from its highest point, it gains kinetic energy, which is then converted into speed. The coaster can continue to gain speed throughout the ride as long as there is no significant loss of energy due to friction or other factors.

4. How does the speed of a roller coaster affect the ride experience?

The speed of a roller coaster can greatly impact the ride experience. Higher speeds can create a more thrilling and intense experience, while lower speeds can make the ride feel more gentle and calm. The speed also plays a role in the forces that riders feel, such as g-forces, which can add to the excitement of the ride.

5. Is there a maximum or minimum speed for roller coasters?

Yes, there are maximum and minimum speeds for roller coasters. The maximum speed is usually limited by the design and safety features of the coaster, as well as any regulations set by governing bodies. The minimum speed is typically determined by the design of the track and the weight of the train, as some coasters may not be able to safely navigate certain elements at lower speeds.