Maximizing Roller Coaster Velocity and Height for a Safe Ride

In summary, the problem involves a frictionless roller coaster with an initial velocity and height, a radius of curvature at point A, and the goal of determining the maximum velocity and necessary height for the roller coaster to stay on the track at point B. The maximum velocity is found using the equations Fn = Fg and MEi = MEf, and then plugged into V = sqrt(gR) to solve for Vo. For the necessary height, the total energy at the starting point is equated to the final energy at point B, giving a smaller value for h3 than h1.
megaforcetkd

Homework Statement

A frictionless roller coaster is given an initial velocity of vo at a height of h = 85 m, as in figure shown. The radius of curvature of the track at point A is 127 m.

(a) Find the maximum value of vo so that the roller coaster stays on the track at point A solely because of gravity.

(b) Using the value of vo calculated in part (a), determine the value of h' that is necessary if the roller coaster just makes it to point B.

(c) What condition must the radius of curvature be in relation to the height h for this problem to work? Show all work leading to your conclusion.

Homework Equations

Fn = Fg
MEi = MEf
1/2mv1^2 + mgh1 = 1/2mv2^2 + mgh2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to approach this at all... Never done anything like this.

Attachments

• 58369.jpg
    58369.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 803
Physics news on Phys.org
guys this is reallly driving me mad =/ i can't figure this out at all!

You must show some work, or some effort before we can help you. Also, note that your image has not been approved yet: have patience! Perhaps someone will help when this has been approved.

I know that but in this problem I really have no idea where to go with it.. I thought I could use the normal force and set that to 0 and do sum of forces but I can't do that since there's no mass to cancel out I think... And what does the problem mean when it says the radius of the curvature?

megaforcetkd said:
I know that but in this problem I really have no idea where to go with it.. I thought I could use the normal force and set that to 0 and do sum of forces but I can't do that since there's no mass to cancel out I think...
You are heading in the right direction. Just call the mass "m" and see what happens.
And what does the problem mean when it says the radius of the curvature?
It means that they are giving you a big hint that the car must execute circular motion when going over that hill. What kind of acceleration is it undergoing? Apply Newton's 2nd law.

ahhh ok i figured out part A but for some reason i can't do B...

for part a i just use MAc = MG and solved for v, then used MEi = MEf an plugged that v into the equation V = sqrt(gR) and i found Vo..

Vo = 26.26 m/s or 94.54 km/h

For part B i tried doing

mg (delta)h = .5mv1^2
delta h = .5 v1^2 / g

i got 35.18m, and added 127 (radius) to that, but got the wrong answer... any help please?

megaforcetkd said:
For part B i tried doing

mg (delta)h = .5mv1^2
delta h = .5 v1^2 / g

i got 35.18m, and added 127 (radius) to that, but got the wrong answer... any help please?
Not quite sure what you're doing here. You have the total energy at the starting point, equate that the to the final energy at point B.

ok i tried doing...

.5mVo^2 + mgh1 = mgh3

i got that number smaller than my initial height?

Given that equation, how can h3 < h1?

1. How does a rollercoaster gain and maintain energy?

A rollercoaster gains energy through its initial potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy as it moves down the first hill. It maintains energy through the use of gravity and the design of the track, which allows it to move through twists and turns without losing too much energy.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy a rollercoaster has?

The amount of energy a rollercoaster has is affected by factors such as its initial height and speed, the design of the track, and the friction between the wheels and the track. For example, a taller and faster rollercoaster will have more energy than a shorter and slower one.

3. How does friction impact a rollercoaster's energy?

Friction between the wheels and the track can cause a rollercoaster to lose energy as it moves along the track. This is why rollercoasters are designed with smooth tracks and wheels made of materials that reduce friction, such as polyurethane or nylon.

4. Can a rollercoaster run out of energy?

In theory, a rollercoaster could run out of energy if it encounters too much friction or if it is designed with too many hills and curves that cause it to lose energy. However, most modern rollercoasters are designed with enough potential energy and efficient tracks to maintain their energy throughout the ride.

5. How does the design of a rollercoaster impact its energy efficiency?

The design of a rollercoaster plays a crucial role in its energy efficiency. A well-designed rollercoaster will have a smooth track with minimal friction, strategic placement of hills and curves to maintain energy, and efficient use of potential energy to reduce the need for excess kinetic energy. This not only improves the overall ride experience but also makes the rollercoaster more energy efficient.