Rolles Theorem, showing two distinct points.

Therefore there are not two distinct points x1, x2 for which g(x1) = g(x2).In summary, the solution provided shows that there are no distinct points x_1, x_2 in R such that g(x_1)=g(x_2), using both a proof by contradiction and a direct approach.
srhjnmrg
Have the following question and just wondering if my solution is correct

Let g(x)= x^5+3x-1. Show that there are no distinct points x_1, x_2 in R such that g(x_1)=g(x_2).

Proof by contradiction. Assume we have two solution x_1<x_2 in ℝ, i,e g(x_1)+g(x_2)=0, since g is differentiable on (x_1,x_2) and continuous on [x_1,x_2], then we can apply rolles theorem, there exits a C belonging to (x_1, x_2) such that df/dx=0, however df/dx=5x^4+3>0 Hence we have a contradiction and only one solution to f(x)=0.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
srhjnmrg said:
Have the following question and just wondering if my solution is correct

Let g(x)= x^5+3x-1. Show that there are no distinct points x_1, x_2 in R such that g(x_1)=g(x_2).

Proof by contradiction. Assume we have two solution x_1<x_2 in ℝ, i,e g(x_1)+g(x_2)=0,
I presume you mean g(x_1)- g(x_2)= 0, not the sum.

since g is differentiable on (x_1,x_2) and continuous on [x_1,x_2], then we can apply rolles theorem, there exits a C belonging to (x_1, x_2) such that df/dx=0, however df/dx=5x^4+3>0 Hence we have a contradiction and only one solution to f(x)=0.

Many thanks in advance.

Or you could just take the direct approach. Since g'(x) = 5x4 + 3, we see that g'(x) > 0 for all x, which means that the graph of g is increasing on the entire real line, hence g is one-to-one. This fact implies that if g(x1) = g(x2), then x1 = x2.

1. What is Rolle's Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, and the function's values at the endpoints are equal, then there exists at least one point within the interval where the derivative of the function is equal to zero.

2. How is Rolle's Theorem used?

Rolle's Theorem is used to prove the existence of a point where the derivative of a function is equal to zero. It is often used in calculus to find the location of maximums and minimums of a function.

3. Can Rolle's Theorem be applied to any function?

No, Rolle's Theorem can only be applied to functions that satisfy the conditions of being continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval.

4. What are the two distinct points mentioned in Rolle's Theorem?

The two distinct points mentioned in Rolle's Theorem are the endpoints of the interval where the function is continuous and differentiable.

5. How is Rolle's Theorem related to the Mean Value Theorem?

Rolle's Theorem is a special case of the Mean Value Theorem, where the average rate of change of a function is equal to the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point.