1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling in a cone, normal force

1. Apr 6, 2015 #1
    I have a small problem with this question. In this problem, the cone exerts a normal force. This force, should be perpendicular to the inside surface of the cone. In equating the vertical forces, I need the vertical component of this normal force. I would draw this force perpendicular to the surface, and then using the angle θ, I would get a force of N/sinθ. But in the book, it says that it should be N*sinθ. What am I doing wrong here?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2015 #2
    Suddenly, I get it. Never mind! I can't find how to delete this thread.

4. Apr 6, 2015 #3
    You are decomposing the weight into its components which will be parallel and perpendicular to the inner surface of the cone. How can the perpendicular component have a magnitude greater than the actual force? Whenever you split a force at any angle, you get a value between 0 and the magnitude of the force depending upon the angle. Make the weight the hypotenuse of the triangle and see what expression you get.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  5. Apr 6, 2015 #4
    As far as I'm aware, that is not possible. And why delete proof that you resolved your own doubt?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook