What is the time tR for a cylinder to transition to pure rolling motion?

In summary, the problem involves a solid homogeneous cylinder of mass M and radius R moving on a surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction μk. The motion of the cylinder starts with pure translational motion and eventually transitions into pure rolling motion. Using the equations for linear and angular momentum and the condition for rolling, the time tR after which the cylinder performs pure rolling motion can be expressed as tR = v0/(3*μkg) or tR = v0/(29.4*μk) depending on the given values of v0, g, and μk.
WookieKx

Homework Statement

A solid homogeneous cylinder of mass M and radius R is moving on a surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction μk. At t=0 the motion f the cylinder is purely translational with a velocity v0 that is parallel to the surface and perpendicular to the central axis of the cylinder.
Determine the time tR after which the cylinder performs pure rolling motion.

Homework Equations

None were given on the paper but I assume I'll be needing this:
When rolling: ƩE = K = 0.5mv2 + 0.5Icmω2

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I've worked through so far

When the cylinder is in pure translational motion:
ƩE = 0.5Mv02 - fkd
ƩE = 0.5Mv02knd

When the cylinder is in pure rolling motion:
ƩE = K = 0.5MvR2 + 0.5Icmω2

Due to conservation of energy:
0.5Mv02 - μknd = 0.5MvR2 + 0.5Icmω2

As n = -Mg and Icm = 0.5mr2

0.5Mv02 + μkMgd = 0.5MvR2 + 0.25MR2ω2

Simplifying:
0.5v02 + 9.8μkd = 0.5vR2 + 0.25R2ω2

As vcm = rω

0.5v02 + 9.8μkd = 0.5vR2 + 0.25vR2

0.5v02 + 9.8μkd = 0.75vR2

After this I can't really figure out how to go on apart from substituting d for:
0.5(v0 + vR)t
Which would add a time variable in.

This gives: 0.5v02 + 4.9μk(v0 + vR)t = 0.75vR2

The main things I'm stuck on are whether or not the vcm at t=t0 (v0) and the vcm at t=tR (vR) are the same or not and how to get rid of the coefficient of kinetic friction which I am not given a value for.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need time so it is better to use equations where time is included.
The motion of the cylinder consist of translation of the CM and rotation about the CM. The force of friction decreases linear momentum and the torque of friction increases angular momentum. Write up both of them as functions of time and use the rolling condition v=Rω to find tR when pure rolling is established.

ehild

So that would make something like:

Δp = Mv0 - MvR = -fkt

and

Δp = Icmω = fkRt

so

vR = v0 - μkgt

and

ω = (2μkgt)/R

so

vR = 2μkgt = v0 - μkgt

v0 = 3μkgt

I always seem to have too any unknowns left over

Eliminate μkgt, you get VR. Substitute back to get tR in terms of the given data v0, R, μk.

ehild

Ok so:

v0 = 3/2*vR
vR = 2/3*v0

But I don't think I can go on any further because I haven't actually been given any values for μk, v0 or R

So the closest I can come is:

t = v0/(3*μkg)
t = v0/(29.4*μk)

WookieKx said:
But I don't think I can go on any further because I haven't actually been given any values for μk, v0 or R

So the closest I can come is:

t = v0/(3*μkg)
t = v0/(29.4*μk)

OK, it is correct. No numerical data are given, you have to express the time with vo, g and μk

ehild

Ok thanks for your help it was much appreciated.

What is rolling motion of a cylinder?

Rolling motion of a cylinder refers to the movement of a cylinder along a surface without slipping or sliding, in which the cylinder rotates and translates simultaneously.

What is the difference between rolling and sliding motion?

Rolling motion involves both rotation and translation, while sliding motion only involves translation. In rolling motion, the point of contact between the object and the surface remains still, while in sliding motion, the point of contact moves along the surface.

What factors affect the rolling motion of a cylinder?

The factors that affect the rolling motion of a cylinder include its mass, radius, shape, surface material, and the surface it is rolling on.

How is rolling friction different from static and kinetic friction?

Rolling friction is the resistance to motion experienced by a rolling object, while static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from sliding, and kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of two surfaces sliding against each other.

What is the purpose of studying rolling motion of a cylinder?

Studying rolling motion of a cylinder is important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and mechanics, as it helps in understanding the principles of motion and can be applied in various practical applications, such as designing wheels and bearings.