Rolling without slipping - too many equations

In summary: So, in summary, the person is trying to understand the situation of a wheel rolling without slipping on a surface with friction. The equations used to explain this include T = I*alpha, where alpha is the rotation about the wheel's centroid and I is the moment of inertia, F = ma, and omega = r*v, where omega is the rotational speed, r is the wheel radius, and v is the translational speed. The condition for rolling without slipping states that alpha = r*a, and friction is represented by T = r*F. The person is asking for clarification on how friction affects the motion of the wheel, and it is explained that once the conditions for rolling without slipping are met, there is no acceleration and only rolling friction
jason.farnon

Homework Statement

I think I have too many equations for unknowns for rolling without slipping. Suppose a wheel is pushed and left rolling along the ground without slipping.

Homework Equations

T = I*alpha, where alpha is the rotation about the wheel's centroid and I is the moment of inertia.

F = ma.

omega = r*v, where omega is the rotational speed, r is the wheel radius and v is the translational speed. The rolling without slipping condition. From this, alpha = r*a.

T = r*F, where F is friction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I*alpha = r*F, so alpha = r*F/I. For rolling without slipping, a = r^2 * F/I. But from Newton's second law, a = F/m. What am I doing wrong. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 3 'F' here not one.

F force apllied
Fnet=ma
Ffriction=Iα

Fnet=F apllied±Ffriction=ma

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
There are 3 'F' here not one.

F force apllied
Fnet=ma
Ffriction=Iα

Fnet=F apllied±Ffriction=ma

What is the force applied you're referring to? I was referring to the situation after the person/external agent releases the wheel with some initial velocity, and the wheel is just rolling by itself on the ground without slipping subject to friction.

So the wheel is just rolling along with a = 0, since there's no longer a force pushing it?

Without external forces, the wheel will keep on rolling forever at initial rotational and translational velocity.

What, according to you, would happen if someone rotates the wheel clockwise and
A) there is no friction
B) there is friction. In this case what will be direction of friction?

The constraint is rolling without slipping.
Then friction as the torque for rotation.

A. Will rotate forever like the satellite.
B. The friction is anticlockwise.

Doc Al said:
So the wheel is just rolling along with a = 0, since there's no longer a force pushing it?

right, no one is pushing it, but there is friction. sorry if I was unclear in setting up the problem. Say I take a wheel, cylinder, ball or whatever and set it rolling on the ground, as you might pitch a bowling ball. It has a certain initial velocity but I am no longer pushing it. Friction is still present, but it is not dissipative, so there is rolling without sliding.

jason.farnon said:
right, no one is pushing it, but there is friction. sorry if I was unclear in setting up the problem. Say I take a wheel, cylinder, ball or whatever and set it rolling on the ground, as you might pitch a bowling ball. It has a certain initial velocity but I am no longer pushing it. Friction is still present, but it is not dissipative, so there is rolling without sliding.
Assuming you have met the conditions for rolling without slipping on a horizontal surface, the friction will be zero.

Doc Al said:
Assuming you have met the conditions for rolling without slipping on a horizontal surface, the friction will be zero.

I don't follow. If friction were zero it seems to me there would be no rolling at all. The object would just slide.

jason.farnon said:
I don't follow. If friction were zero it seems to me there would be no rolling at all. The object would just slide.
If friction were nonzero, then it couldn't be rolling without slipping at some constant speed. Friction is needed to change the rotational speed, but the friction force becomes zero once the conditions are met for rolling without slipping.

You have to be careful and distiguish between 2 types of friction...sliding friction and rolling friction. When something like a snooker ball is first struck the ball slides over the surface and sliding friction causes the balls linear speed to decrease.
The frictional force acting on the ball produces a turning effect which makes the ball rotate.
At the point of contact with the table the forward velocity will decrease to a value, v, and the (backwards) rotation velocity will increase to a velocity, v. At this point there is no relative motion between the point of contact on the ball and the point of contact on the table so sliding friction will become zero. The ball will then continue to roll with no sliding (slipping).
The link between linear velocity and angular velocity when this happens is v = ωr

There is now only rolling friction which is very small compared to sliding friction

Last edited:
truesearch said:
You have to be careful and distiguish between 2 types of friction...sliding friction and rolling friction. When something like a snooker ball is first struck the ball slides over the surface and sliding friction causes the balls linear speed to decrease.
The frictional force acting on the ball produces a turning effect which makes the ball rotate.
At the point of contact with the table the forward velocity will decrease to a value, v, and the (backwards) rotation velocity will increase to a velocity, v. At this point there is no relative motion between the point of contact on the ball and the point of contact on the table so sliding friction will become zero. The ball will then continue to roll with no sliding (slipping).
The link between linear velocity and angular velocity when this happens is v = ωr

There is now only rolling friction which is very small compared to sliding friction

Thanks, that is something I was wondering about. But, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that it answers my original question. Take the point that there is only rolling friction and thereafter. I don't see what is wrong with my two derivations for the acceleration of the ball, but they are contradictory.

jason.farnon said:
But, maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see that it answers my original question. Take the point that there is only rolling friction and thereafter. I don't see what is wrong with my two derivations for the acceleration of the ball, but they are contradictory.
Once the ball is rolling without slipping, there is no acceleration. (Ignoring rolling friction.)

Your derivation takes "F" as some force acting on the wheel. What's that force? The applied force? But that's zero, since you stopped pushing. Friction? There is none. (I'm talking static friction, not rolling friction.)

Doc Al said:
Once the ball is rolling without slipping, there is no acceleration. (Ignoring rolling friction.)

Your derivation takes "F" as some force acting on the wheel. What's that force? The applied force? But that's zero, since you stopped pushing. Friction? There is none. (I'm talking static friction, not rolling friction.)

I was using F to refer to the "rolling friction". Why does that affect the derivation? The translational effect on the centroid of the wheel/ball/object should be analyzable separately from the spinning wheel, shouldn't it? I have encountered derivations where that appears to be the case.

Rolling friction is static friction.
Just like a block on the a rough table, the static fraction is equal or less to the force applied.
When no force applied, static friction is equal to zero.

When no force applied on rotating object without slippage then slipping
friction is zero.

jason.farnon said:
I was using F to refer to the "rolling friction".
I don't think you are. The term "rolling friction" usually refers to a dissipative force caused by the deformation of the contact surfaces. When truesearch used the term I think he actually meant the static friction that appears during rolling motion. That static friction force is zero, once rolling without slipping is attained.

Actual rolling friction is a bit more complicated and is the force that will eventually stop the wheel as it rolls along the horizontal surface.

What is rolling without slipping?

Rolling without slipping is a type of motion in which an object, typically a wheel or a ball, moves both rotationally and translationally without any slipping or sliding. This means that the point of contact between the object and the surface it is rolling on remains stationary.

What is the difference between rolling with and without slipping?

The main difference between rolling with and without slipping is the presence of kinetic friction. When an object is rolling with slipping, there is a force of friction acting on the object's point of contact with the surface, causing it to slide and lose energy. In contrast, rolling without slipping occurs when the force of friction is great enough to prevent sliding, allowing the object to maintain its motion without losing energy.

How is rolling without slipping related to angular and linear velocity?

In rolling without slipping, the object's angular velocity (ω) and linear velocity (v) are related by the equation v = rω, where r is the object's radius. This means that as the object's angular velocity increases, its linear velocity also increases. However, the object's linear velocity is always smaller than its angular velocity, as the object's motion is constrained by the point of contact with the surface.

What are the equations for calculating rolling without slipping?

The equations for calculating rolling without slipping depend on the specific scenario, but some common equations include:

• ω = v/r (relating angular and linear velocity)
  • Ff = μmg (relating force of friction to coefficient of friction, mass, and gravity)
  • E = 1/2 Iω² + 1/2 mv² (relating kinetic energy to moment of inertia, angular velocity, and mass)

Why is rolling without slipping important?

Rolling without slipping is important in many practical applications, such as designing wheels for vehicles, understanding the motion of objects on inclined planes, and analyzing the motion of sports balls. It also helps to conserve energy, as there is no sliding friction to dissipate energy in rolling without slipping.