Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Room Temperature Superconductors

1. Oct 10, 2006 #1
    How far are we from Room Temp SCs? Have they been invented yet?
    I hear you can use dynamite and that get's you close to room temperature.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

"High temperature" superconductors have been made that can operate at a blazing hot -150o C. I think I heard about that before the turn of the millenium, and then the story just sort-of dropped out of sight. I'm assuming nothing much new has happened, or we'd be hearing about it. So whatever techs brought the temperature up to that new record must have dead-ended right about there.

IIRC, that breakthrough was achieved with new materials (ceramics, I believe). Mayeb -130 is as warm as these materials can get us, and new materials must be discovered/created before we can go any warmer.
    Didn't really understand the comment about dynamite. You mean using dynamite as a superconductor, or blowing up a superconductor to get it up to room temperature, or what?

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4
    Well I wanna know how you can use dynamite. Does it compress the molecules so the electrons don't have so far to jump?

6. Oct 11, 2006 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A dynamite? To compress?

Where did you get the impetus for such a thing? And what does this have anything to do with superconductivity? Or are you asking something completely unrelated. If you are, please start another thread in another forum.

Zz.

7. Oct 11, 2006 #6
    No , I saw something on TV about using dynamite to make room temp superconductors. I'm asking does the explosion compress the metal therefore making the electrons flow easier?

8. Oct 12, 2006 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Unless you can make a more definite citation, I'd say this is nonsense. Not everything you watch on TV is accurate, or don't you know that already?

Zz.

9. Oct 14, 2006 #8

LURCH

Science Advisor

Can you recall what show? Or some names of researchers or research faclitities?

A quick Google search on room temperatutre superconducters and dynamite yielded nothing relevant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?