Proving the Relationship Between Roots of Two Equations

• Thread starter tysonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that between two consecutive roots of f(x), there is exactly one root of g(x). It is stated that h(x) = f(x)g'(x) - g(x)f'(x) does not equal 0, and by considering h(x1) and h(x2) where x1 and x2 are consecutive roots of f(x), conclusions can be drawn about the relative signs of g(x) and f'(x). It is also mentioned that g(x) is not zero at these points and that there will be a point between x1 and x2 where f' vanishes, leading to more information on g.
tysonk
If someone could guide me as to how I can approach this that would be appreciated. Suppose f(x) and g(x) have continuous first derivatives on R and that
f(x) g'(x) - g(x) f'(x) does not equal 0. Prove that between two consecutive roots of f(x) there is exactly one root of g(x).

Physics news on Phys.org
Let

[tex]h(x) = f(x) g'(x) - g(x) f'(x) \neq 0[/tex]

and let [tex]x_1,x_2[/tex] be consecutive roots of [tex]f(x)[/tex]. Consider [tex]h(x_1),h(x_2)[/tex] and draw conclusions about the relative signs of [tex]g(x)[/tex] and [tex]f'(x)[/tex]. You'll be able to determine something about the behavior of [tex]g(x)[/tex] on the interval [tex](x_1,x_2)[/tex].

Thanks for the reply.
So I concluded
h(x1) = -g(x1) f'(x1) =! 0
h(x2) = -g(x2) f'(x2) =! 0
This tells us that the derivative at the point of the root for f(x) must be either positive/negative. Also g(x) is not zero meaning there is no root for g(x) a those two points. However, I'm still having trouble understanding/concluding how there can be exactly one root for g(x) between the consecutive roots of f(x).

I would choose a definite sign for h(x), then you'll have to make similar choices for f' at the roots. This will lead conclusions for the sign of g at the roots. Having no root for f between [tex]x_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2[/tex] should put strong requirements on g and g'. You might also want to note that there will be a point between [tex]x_1[/tex] and [tex]x_2[/tex], where f' vanishes. That will lead to some more information on g.

Thanks!

1. What are the roots of a quadratic equation?

The roots of a quadratic equation are the values of x that make the equation equal to 0. They can be found using the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation.

2. How many roots can a quadratic equation have?

A quadratic equation can have either two real roots, one real root, or no real roots, depending on the value of the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac). If the discriminant is positive, there will be two real roots. If it is 0, there will be one real root. If it is negative, there will be no real roots.

3. Can a quadratic equation have complex roots?

Yes, a quadratic equation can have complex roots if the discriminant is negative. In this case, the roots will be in the form of a complex number, with a real and imaginary part.

4. What is the relationship between the roots and the graph of a quadratic equation?

The roots of a quadratic equation are the x-intercepts of the graph of the equation. This means that the points where the graph crosses the x-axis will be the values of x that make the equation equal to 0.

5. How can I check if my answer for the roots of a quadratic equation is correct?

You can check your answer by substituting the values of the roots into the original equation and verifying that it equals 0. Another way to check is by graphing the equation and seeing if the x-intercepts match the values you found for the roots.