What is the velocity of the mass in the lab's frame of reference?

In summary: So in the lab's frame, the mass has a constant velocity, while in the disk's frame it has a speed proportional to the radius.In summary, the mass has a constant velocity in the lab's frame of reference, and a speed proportional to the radius in the disk's reference frame.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

A horizontal smooth disk of radius R rotates around its axis with constant speed ω. At t=0 a mass m is thrown at speed v0 (in the lab's frame of reference) towards the center of the disk.
I am asked to write down the velocity vector of the mass in the lab's frame of reference and in the disk's. It is stated that in both cases the origin is at the center of the disk.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Primarily, won't the mass's acceleration in the lab's frame of reference be:
a = -2ω x v' - ω x (ω x r), where |v| = v0 - ωr?

Won't the mass's velocity in the disk's frame of reference be:
v = [ωr]θ + [dr/dt]r?
I could truly use some guidance here. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
peripatein said:
At t=0 a mass m is thrown at speed v0 (in the lab's frame of reference) towards the center of the disk. ... won't the mass's acceleration ...
The mass isn't accelerating, it's moving at constant velocity v0, from the lab's frame of reference.

Okay, so is -2ω x v' - ω x (ω x r)=0, where |v| = v0 - ωr?

peripatein said:
Okay, so is -2ω x v' - ω x (ω x r)=0, where |v| = v0 - ωr?
In which frame?

Would it be correct to say that in the lab's reference frame, the velocity of the mass is:
V = [wr]θ+[wtv0]r?
Would it be correct to say that in the disk's reference frame, the velocity of the mass is:
V = [v0]θ

I would really appreciate some feedback on what I think the velocities would be in both reference frames.

peripatein said:
Would it be correct to say that in the lab's reference frame, the velocity of the mass is:
V = [wr]θ+[wtv0]r?
Not sure I understand your notation. You're using polar co-ordinates for both frames, right? If so, I guess it's the same r for each, and theta's the same at t=0. The mass comes in along theta=0 in the lab's frame.
Given all that, why does the velocity in the lab's frame involve ω? And what would ωtv0 be... an angle multiplied by a speed?

So will the velocity, from an inertial frame's pov, simply be wr(t), where r=vrt?
Won't it then be wv_0*t?

As I understand the statement, the mass starts with speed v0 towards the origin, along the line θ=0, say. In polar, I guess you'd write that (-v0, 0). Since the disk is smooth, that won't change.

I am not sure I understand. My book claims that to an inertial observer the mass will be moving at constant speed along the radius, i.e. straight line, whereas from the disk's reference frame it will be moving at a speed equal to vr + w x r.
Would you disagree?

peripatein said:
V = [wr]θ+[wtv0]r?

peripatein said:
My book claims that to an inertial observer the mass will be moving at constant speed along the radius, i.e. straight line
So why do you include

[wtv0]r

as one of the terms?

In polar coordinates, dr/dt = v0, and dθ/dt = 0. θ would be a constant, while r = r0 + v0 t.

1. What is the rotating disk question?

The rotating disk question is a thought experiment that explores the concept of relativity in physics. It involves a hypothetical scenario where a disk is rotating at a constant speed and a person stands on the edge of the disk. The question asks whether the person would experience the same time and space as someone standing still on the ground.

2. Why is the rotating disk question important?

The rotating disk question is important because it helps us understand the principles of relativity and how time and space are relative to the observer's frame of reference. This concept is crucial in modern physics and has implications in various areas, such as space travel and GPS technology.

3. Who came up with the rotating disk question?

The rotating disk question was first proposed by the famous physicist Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity. However, the concept can be traced back to earlier scientists, such as Galileo and Newton, who also explored the idea of relative motion and its effects on time and space.

4. What is the answer to the rotating disk question?

The answer to the rotating disk question is that the person on the rotating disk will experience time and space differently than someone standing still on the ground. This is because the person on the disk is in a different frame of reference due to the rotation, causing time and space to appear distorted.

5. How is the rotating disk question relevant in today's world?

The rotating disk question is relevant in today's world as it helps us understand the effects of relative motion on time and space. This concept has practical applications in fields such as space travel and satellite communication, where precise measurements of time and space are crucial for accuracy and success.