Rotating rigid sphere stress-energy tensor

In summary: Then \left[ \begin{array}{c}T^{ab}\\0 \end{array} \right] will be the correct result.Thanks for your quick reply. Maybe I didn't express myself so well. Let's start from stress-energy tensor for sphere, which can be written as T^{ab} = (\rho + p) u^a u^b + p g^{ab}, but in rest frame where sphere doesn't rotate, it's only T^{00} element that's nonzero (I think so!).No, if g = \eta then T^{ij} = P \delta^i_j where P is the pressure between the
aatw
Hy.

Can somebody please show me the way, how to transform stress-energy tensor for sphere in rest frame to stress-energy tensor in rotating frame using Lorentz transformations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

aatw said:
Hy.

Can somebody please show me the way, how to transform stress-energy tensor for sphere in rest frame to stress-energy tensor in rotating frame using Lorentz transformations?

Hy aatw! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Whyever would you want to use a rotating frame? :confused:

Anyway, the rotations in the group of Lorentz transformations are exactly the same as in ordinary Euclidean space. :wink:

Thanks for your quick reply.
Maybe I didn't express myself so well.
Let's start from stress-energy tensor for sphere, which can be written as [tex]T^{ab} = (\rho + p) u^a u^b + p g^{ab}[/tex], but in rest frame where sphere doesn't rotate, it's only [tex]T^{00}[/tex] element that's nonzero (I think so!).
But now sphere starts to rotate with angular speed [tex]\omega[/tex] around z axis and I want to use Lorentz transformation to determine [tex]T^{ab}[/tex] for rotating sphere.

Have you tried plugging in this velocity 4-vector ?
[tex]

\left[ \begin{array}{c}
-\sqrt{\omega^2r^2-c^2}\\\
-\omega r\sin(\omega t) \\\
\omega r\cos(\omega t) \\\
0 \end{array} \right]
[/tex]
where [itex]r^2=x^2+y^2[/itex] into the EMT ? This seems to be in cartesian coords but easy enough to transform to polar.

I suppose another approach would be to boost in the x and y directions with velocities as given above. I'll try that later if I have time.

Last edited:
aatw said:
Thanks for your quick reply.
Maybe I didn't express myself so well.
Let's start from stress-energy tensor for sphere, which can be written as [tex]T^{ab} = (\rho + p) u^a u^b + p g^{ab}[/tex], but in rest frame where sphere doesn't rotate, it's only [tex]T^{00}[/tex] element that's nonzero (I think so!).
No, if [itex]g = \eta[/itex] then [itex]T^{ij} = P \delta^i_j[/itex] where P is the pressure between the elements (just use the formula you quoted with [itex]u^a = (1,0,0,0)[/itex] -which is the 4-velocity in the rest frame).

But now sphere starts to rotate with angular speed [tex]\omega[/tex] around z axis and I want to use Lorentz transformation to determine [tex]T^{ab}[/tex] for rotating sphere.
ok, so just use an ordinary boost in all 3 spatial directions with [itex]v=\omega r[/itex]

Last edited:

1. What is a rotating rigid sphere stress-energy tensor?

The rotating rigid sphere stress-energy tensor is a mathematical tool used in the field of physics, specifically in general relativity, to describe the distribution of energy and momentum within a rotating spherical object. It is used to calculate the gravitational effects of the object, such as its gravitational field and the curvature of spacetime around it.

2. How is the rotating rigid sphere stress-energy tensor calculated?

The rotating rigid sphere stress-energy tensor is calculated by taking into account the mass, angular momentum, and angular velocity of the rotating sphere. It involves complex mathematical equations and is usually calculated using computer simulations rather than by hand.

3. What is the significance of the rotating rigid sphere stress-energy tensor?

The rotating rigid sphere stress-energy tensor is significant because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of rotating objects in the universe, such as planets, stars, and black holes. It also plays a crucial role in the study of general relativity and how gravity works in the universe.

4. Can the rotating rigid sphere stress-energy tensor be applied to non-spherical objects?

Yes, the rotating rigid sphere stress-energy tensor can be applied to non-spherical objects. However, it is only accurate for objects that are close to being spherical in shape. For more irregularly shaped objects, more complex stress-energy tensors are needed to accurately describe their gravitational effects.

5. Are there any limitations to the rotating rigid sphere stress-energy tensor?

Yes, there are limitations to the rotating rigid sphere stress-energy tensor. It assumes that the rotating object is made up of a perfect, rigid material, which is not the case in reality. It also does not take into account other factors, such as the object's magnetic field or the effects of other nearby objects. Therefore, it is only an approximation and cannot fully describe the behavior of rotating objects in all situations.