Solving Kinetic Energy with Rotation Around Y Axis

In summary, the problem involves finding the kinetic energy of a rotating rod of length 2a, with rotation in the xy plane. The solution is found by considering the rotation in the xy plane separately, and then combining it with the translation component in the z direction. The final equation for kinetic energy is given by E = 1/2 * (dot{x_cm}^2 + dot{y_cm}^2 + dot{z_cm}^2) + 1/2 * I_cm * (dot{theta}^2 + dot{phi}^2).
Ene Dene

Homework Statement

The rod of length 2a swings and it rotates [itex]\dot{\phi}[/tex]. Find kinetic energy.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find kinetic energy if we have rotation just in xy plane, but I'm having a problem to understand how to do it with rotation around y axis.

If we have rotation in xy plane:
[tex]x_{cm}=asin(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]y_{cm}=acos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]\dot{x}_{cm}=acos(\theta)\dot{\theta}[/tex]
[tex]\dot{y}_{cm}=-asin(\theta)\dot{\theta}[/tex]
[tex]E_{kin}=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}_{cm}^2+\dot{y}_{cm}^2)+\frac{1}{2}m\cdot\frac{1}{12}(2a)^2\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]
[tex]E_{kin}=\frac{2}{3}m\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]

For rotation around y, I assume that we have translation component in z direction, and rotation component.
[tex]z_{cm}=asin(\theta)sin(\phi)[/tex]
Is this correct? (look at the picture)
[tex]\dot{z}_{cm}=a(cos(\theta)sin(\phi)\dot{\theta}+cos(\phi)sin(\theta)\dot{\phi})[/tex]
[tex]E_{z}=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{z}_{cm}^2+\frac{1}{2}I_{cm}\dot{\phi}^2[/tex].
Rotation part of [itex]E_{z}[/itex] bothers me, maybe I have to multiply it by [itex](lsin(\theta))^2[/itex].

Attachments

• rod.JPG
    rod.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this ok:

[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}(\dot{x}_{cm}^2+\dot{y}_{cm}^2+\dot{z}_{cm}^2)+\frac{1}{2}I_{cm}(\dot{\theta}^2+\dot{\phi}^2)[/tex]

?

Last edited:
I have successfully solved the problem by my self, so no need for an answer.

1. What is kinetic energy in rotational motion around the y-axis?

Kinetic energy in rotational motion around the y-axis is the energy an object possesses due to its motion around an axis that is perpendicular to the y-axis. It is a form of energy that is associated with an object's rotation and is dependent on its mass and angular velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated in rotational motion around the y-axis?

Kinetic energy in rotational motion around the y-axis is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity of the object. This formula is derived from the relationship between linear and rotational kinetic energy.

3. What is the moment of inertia in rotational motion around the y-axis?

The moment of inertia in rotational motion around the y-axis is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion around that axis. It is affected by the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object and is calculated using the formula I = ∫r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is the infinitesimal mass element.

4. How does rotational motion around the y-axis affect an object's kinetic energy?

Rotational motion around the y-axis affects an object's kinetic energy by increasing or decreasing its value depending on the object's angular velocity. The faster the object is rotating, the greater its kinetic energy will be. Additionally, the moment of inertia also plays a role in determining the object's kinetic energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving kinetic energy in rotational motion around the y-axis?

There are many real-world applications of solving kinetic energy in rotational motion around the y-axis, including understanding the motion of objects such as wheels and gears, calculating the energy required for objects to rotate, and analyzing the stability and balance of objects in motion. This concept is also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports science.