Rotation around x-axis of a sphere

In summary: The problem asks for the limit of a rotation around the x-axis. Setting up the equation for the limit in terms of the zenithal and azimuthal coordinates gives:$$\lim_{\delta t\to 0}\frac{\phi(\gamma(t+\delta t))-\phi(\gamma(t))}{\theta(\gamma(t+\delta t))-\theta(\gamma(t))}=\cot\Big(\phi(\gamma(t))\Big)\cot\Big(\theta(\gamma(t))\Big)$$This is the same as the equation for a rotation around the x-
IanBerkman
I have posted this question earlier but I think it was ill-stated. I try to give it in a simpler fashion in this thread.

In the problem it is stated that there a rotation around the x-axis of a (stereographic) sphere is given by
$$\delta \phi = \cot \phi \cot \theta \delta \theta$$
where ##\theta## is the angle from the z-axis and ##\phi## the angle from the x-axis.
The rotation maps the sphere on itself.

I need to prove that this equation indeed represents a rotation around the x-axis.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In spherical coordinates we have
$$ x = \rho\sin\theta\cos\phi\\
y = \rho\sin\theta\sin\phi\\
z = \rho\cos\theta$$
I changed the ##\delta## in the equation for the infinitesimally small d. (It is nowhere stated what ##\delta## is, it could also be that I have to substitute this in ##\delta S = \delta\int L dt = 0## but this will give a huge integral. I can give this integral in a comment).

This gives
$$
\tan\phi d\phi = \cot\theta d \theta$$
Integration gives
$$sin\phi = const\cdot\csc\theta\tan\phi$$
Where the constant follows from the integration.

Substituting this equation in the spherical coordinates will give a constant ##x##, but no constant for ##y^2+z^2## which must follow from a rotation around the x-axis.

I am stuck with this problem for over a week, I am really thankful if someone can provide some insight.

Thanks in advance,
Ian

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately the question is still unclear. It does not state what the equation represents. Getting a clear statement of a problem is often half the battle in solving it.

I'll have a guess as to what it might be intended to mean. If you can confirm or otherwise that that's correct then at least there will be a clear problem to solve.

The reference to a sphere is a red herring. The problem does not concern a sphere. It is about rotation of a point around the x-axis. The question is:

Let P be any point in Euclidean 3-space. Let C be the circle mapped out by rotating P around the x axis. Parametrise C in a constant-speed fashion by function ##\gamma:[0,2\pi]\to C## such that the maximum ##z## coordinate occurs at ##\gamma(0)##.

Under the constraint of remaining on the circle C, find ##\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial\theta}##. More formally, that means we want to find:
$$\lim_{\delta t\to 0}\frac{\phi(\gamma(t+\delta t))-\phi(\gamma(t))}{\theta(\gamma(t+\delta t))-\theta(\gamma(t))}$$
where ##\theta## and ##\phi## are the zenithal and azimuthal coordinate functions of the spherical coordinate system.

We would expect to find (if the interpretation is correct) that the limit is equal to
$$\cot\Big(\phi(\gamma(t))\Big)\cot\Big(\theta(\gamma(t))\Big)$$

It is also possible that the problem is instead asking about a rotation of the spherical coordinate system, rather than of the point P. If so then the formulas in the problem will be very similar, with just a sign changed here and there.

Thank you kindly, it looks like you are more familiar with this problem than me. I think that is the whole problem with this assignment, not knowing what the equation represents. I have uploaded the "tale" which corresponds to this problem and I will give a brief summary:

The tale is about Kepler's problem and later on this is used to explain degeneracy in a hydrogen atom.The Hamiltonian of Kepler's problem is given by ##H = \textbf{p}^2/2m - \alpha/r## where ##\alpha## is the constant corresponding to the gravitational pull. Since this is equal to the energy, we could associate this with a constant momentum ##p_0## by $$
E = - \frac{p_0}{2m} = \frac{\textbf{p}^2}{2m}-\frac{\alpha}{r}$$ (The energy is negative).
Which consequently gives the radius by
$$ r = \frac{2m\alpha}{p_0^2+\textbf{p}^2}$$
The infinitesimal action is given by ##dS = -\textbf{r}d\textbf{p}##, but since ##\textbf{r}## and ##\dot{\boldsymbol p}## are parallel, this becomes
$$ dS = (2m\alpha)^2 \frac{dp_x^2+dp_y^2}{(p_0^2+\textbf{p}^2)^2}$$
And from here on they perform a stereographic project by letting
$$ p_x = p_0\cos \phi \cot \theta/2\\
p_y = p_0 \sin\phi \cot \theta/2$$
Which results in the metric on a 2D sphere
$$ dS^2 = \left(\frac{m\alpha}{p_o^2}\right)^2(d\theta^2+\sin^2\theta d\phi^2)$$
Setting up the anti-Lagrangian gives the equation ##\sin\theta_0 = \frac{v_\phi}{v}\sin\theta## (eq 16) which tells explicitly that the trajectory on a stereographic sphere belongs to the plane which has angle ##\theta_0## with the vertical axis.
Then it tells, out of the blue, that there are two more rotations of the stereographic sphere, around the x-axis and y-axis given by equation (17) and (18), introducing the ##\delta##. The one around the x-axis is given by the first formula in the original post. Since the problem is also talking about action, I would not know if they mean a variation of this action with the ##\delta##.

I understand if this is all too much since it needs quite some concepts to arrive at this point. However, I would also be satisfied enough if you could explain how the limit in your post reduces to the two cotangent terms.

Attachments

• Tale-09.pdf
    149.9 KB · Views: 210

What is rotation around the x-axis of a sphere?

Rotation around the x-axis of a sphere refers to a transformation in which the sphere is rotated around the x-axis, causing points on the sphere to move in circular paths around the axis.

How is the rotation direction determined for a sphere?

The rotation direction for a sphere is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the rotation axis and the fingers curl in the direction of the rotation.

What is the axis of rotation for a sphere?

The axis of rotation for a sphere is an imaginary line passing through the center of the sphere and perpendicular to the plane of rotation. In the case of rotation around the x-axis, the axis of rotation will be the x-axis itself.

What happens to the shape of a sphere when it is rotated around the x-axis?

When a sphere is rotated around the x-axis, its shape remains unchanged. However, the orientation of the sphere in space will change, and points on the sphere's surface will move in circular paths around the x-axis.

What is the relationship between the angle of rotation and the distance traveled by a point on the sphere?

The angle of rotation and the distance traveled by a point on the sphere are directly proportional. This means that the larger the angle of rotation, the greater the distance traveled by the point on the sphere. This relationship can be described by the formula d = rθ, where d is the distance traveled, r is the radius of the sphere, and θ is the angle of rotation in radians.