Rotational Inertia of a door

In summary, a rotating door has rotational inertia that is multiplied by the number of panes. It would take a person about half a circle to rotate the door.
Nm
A rotating door is made from four rectangular glass panes, as shown in the drawing. The mass of each pane is 76 kg. A person pushes on the outer edge of one pane with a force of F = 55 N that is directed perpendicular to the pane.
09_34.gif

a.) Find the rotational inertia of the door.
b.) Find the magnitude of the door's angular acceleration.
c.) Find the time it would take to rotate the door a half-circle (assuming it started from rest.)
I have tried calculating the torque for the pane to be (1.2m)(55N) = 66 Nm. I think the rotational inertia should be I = 1/3ML^2 multiplied by 4 for each pane since it is spinning away from the center of mass (edge). Can someone tell me if this is correct? I don't know how to continue this problem...Thanks.

Attachments

• 09_34.gif
    09_34.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 449
  • 09_34.gif
    09_34.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 409
  • 09_34.gif
    09_34.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured out the solutions so never mind.

Nm said:
A rotating door is made from four rectangular glass panes, as shown in the drawing. The mass of each pane is 76 kg. A person pushes on the outer edge of one pane with a force of F = 55 N that is directed perpendicular to the pane.
09_34.gif

a.) Find the rotational inertia of the door.
b.) Find the magnitude of the door's angular acceleration.
c.) Find the time it would take to rotate the door a half-circle (assuming it started from rest.)
I have tried calculating the torque for the pane to be (1.2m)(55N) = 66 Nm. I think the rotational inertia should be I = 1/3ML^2 multiplied by 4 for each pane since it is spinning away from the center of mass (edge). Can someone tell me if this is correct? I don't know how to continue this problem...Thanks.

I thought torque was rotational inertia multiplied by acceleration(in radians). You found your torque by multiplying the distance by the force? Can you exlplain your steps bcz I have a test on Friday on Rotation, and this could be very useful

1. What is rotational inertia of a door?

Rotational inertia of a door is the measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is also known as moment of inertia and is determined by the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation.

2. How is rotational inertia of a door calculated?

The rotational inertia of a door can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the door, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the door's center of mass.

3. Does the shape of a door affect its rotational inertia?

Yes, the shape of a door does affect its rotational inertia. Objects with more mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher rotational inertia compared to objects with the same mass but with the mass distributed closer to the axis of rotation.

4. How does rotational inertia affect the opening and closing of a door?

The rotational inertia of a door affects how easily it can be opened and closed. Doors with a higher rotational inertia will require more force to open and close, while doors with a lower rotational inertia will be easier to move.

5. How can the rotational inertia of a door be changed?

The rotational inertia of a door can be changed by altering the distribution of mass around the axis of rotation. This can be done by changing the shape or weight of the door, or by adding or removing objects from the door.