Rotational kinematics and energy

In summary, the problem involves a 190 kg woman standing on a horizontal turntable with a moment of inertia of 1.3x10^3 kg.m^2 and a radius of 0.68 m. The woman starts walking clockwise around the rim at a constant speed of 0.86 rad/s relative to the Earth. Using the conservation of angular momentum, the angular speed of the turntable is calculated to be 0.08647 rad/s.
dethbyphysics
[SOLVED] rotational kinematics and energy

Homework Statement

A 190 kg woman stands at the rim of a horizontal turntable with a moment of inertia of 1.3x10^3 kg.m^2 and a radius of 0.68 m. The system is initially at rest and the turntable is free to rotate about a frictionless vertical axle through its center. The woman then starts walking clockwise (when viewed from above) around the rim at a constant speed of 0.86 rad/s relative to the Earth.
With what angular speed does the turntable rotate? Answer in units of rad/s.

Homework Equations

w(angular velocity)=v/r
I=mr^2
Conservation of angular momentum I(woman)W(woman)=I(turntable)W(turntable)

The Attempt at a Solution

FIRST, I figured out the angular velocity of the woman.
w=v/r=0.86/0.68=1.2647 m/s

SECOND, I figured out the moment of inertia of the woman.
I=mr^2=(190)(0.68^2)=87.856

LAST, I used this information to solve for the angular speed of the turntable using the Conservation of Angular Momentum equation.
I(woman)W(woman)=I(turntable)W(turntable)
Rearranging this equation, I get W(turntable)=I(woman)W(woman)/I(turntable)
W(turntable)=(87.856x1.2647)/(1.3x10^3)
W(turntable)=0.08547

However, when I punch this answer in, it says the answer is wrong but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
FIRST, I figured out the angular velocity of the woman.
w=v/r=0.86/0.68=1.2647 m/s
This isn't correct.
You were given this w in the question. w is angular speed (rad/s) and v is linear speed (m/s). You seem to have the two confused. There is no need to change the 0.86 rad/s to anything else.

See if that solves your problem.

Oh okay thanks. I see where I went wrong. I redid the problem using 0.86 as the angular speed of the woman and came out with the right answer. Thanks!

What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the study of the motion of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path. It involves the concepts of angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration, as well as torque and angular momentum.

How is rotational kinematics different from linear kinematics?

The main difference between rotational kinematics and linear kinematics is the type of motion being studied. Linear kinematics deals with the straight-line motion of objects, while rotational kinematics deals with the rotational motion of objects around a fixed axis.

What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its rotational motion. It can be in the form of kinetic energy, which is due to the object's rotational velocity, or potential energy, which is due to the object's position in a gravitational or electric field.

What is the relationship between torque and rotational energy?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. The relationship between torque and rotational energy is that torque is equal to the rate of change of rotational energy with respect to time, or in other words, torque is the force that causes an object to gain or lose rotational energy.

How does rotational energy affect the stability of an object?

Rotational energy can affect the stability of an object by influencing its center of mass and its moment of inertia. An object with a higher rotational energy will have a higher moment of inertia and therefore be more resistant to changes in its rotation, making it more stable. On the other hand, an object with a lower rotational energy may be more prone to tipping or falling over.