1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational kinematics and energy

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] rotational kinematics and energy

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 190 kg woman stands at the rim of a horizontal turntable with a moment of inertia of 1.3x10^3 kg.m^2 and a radius of 0.68 m. The system is initially at rest and the turntable is free to rotate about a frictionless vertical axle through its center. The woman then starts walking clockwise (when viewed from above) around the rim at a constant speed of 0.86 rad/s relative to the Earth.
    With what angular speed does the turntable rotate? Answer in units of rad/s.

2. Relevant equations
    w(angular velocity)=v/r
    I=mr^2
    Conservation of angular momentum I(woman)W(woman)=I(turntable)W(turntable)

3. The attempt at a solution
    FIRST, I figured out the angular velocity of the woman.
    w=v/r=0.86/0.68=1.2647 m/s

SECOND, I figured out the moment of inertia of the woman.
    I=mr^2=(190)(0.68^2)=87.856

LAST, I used this information to solve for the angular speed of the turntable using the Conservation of Angular Momentum equation.
    I(woman)W(woman)=I(turntable)W(turntable)
    Rearranging this equation, I get W(turntable)=I(woman)W(woman)/I(turntable)
    W(turntable)=(87.856x1.2647)/(1.3x10^3)
    W(turntable)=0.08547

However, when I punch this answer in, it says the answer is wrong but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. HELP!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

This isn't correct.
    You were given this w in the question. w is angular speed (rad/s) and v is linear speed (m/s). You seem to have the two confused. There is no need to change the 0.86 rad/s to anything else.

See if that solves your problem.

4. Mar 26, 2008 #3
    Oh okay thanks. I see where I went wrong. I redid the problem using 0.86 as the angular speed of the woman and came out with the right answer. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?