Calculating Angular Acceleration of a Rotating Disk

In summary, the problem involves a disk with a radial line mounted on an axle perpendicular to it and initially at rest with the line at q0 = -90°. After undergoing constant angular acceleration for 3.1 seconds, the reference line is now at qf = 153°. Using the equation theta = theta(0) + omega(0)t + 0.5*alpha*t^2, we can calculate the angular acceleration, alpha, to be 486/t^2. However, since the angles are expressed in degrees instead of radians, the correct answer should be around 50.5723205 radians/second^2.
nahya
A disk with a radial line painted on it is mounted on an axle perpendicular to it and running through its center. It is initially at rest, with the line at q0 = -90°. The disk then undergoes constant angular acceleration. After accelerating for 3.1 s, the reference line has been moved part way around the circle (in a counterclockwise direction) to qf = 153°.
---
since theta = theta(0) + omega(0)t + 0.5*alpha*t^2, for theta = angle, omega = angular velocity, alpha = angular acceleration, and t in seconds,
153 = -90 + 0*t + 0.5*alpha*t^2
243 = 0.5*alpha*t^2
alpha = 486/t^2
and so alpha should be around 50.5723205... right?!

but it's not!
the degrees seem right, because 243 degrees is the degree of difference. since the disk was initially at rest, omega(0) = 0.
what am i doing wrong?

// got rid of latex cause it wasn't working for some reason

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe, the scale goes clockwise so your disk rotates -90 to -180 then 180 to 153, causing a total change of 117 degrees instead of 243. Let me know if that gives you the answer you're looking for...

Regards,
Sam

nahya said:
A disk with a radial line painted on it is mounted on an axle perpendicular to it and running through its center. It is initially at rest, with the line at q0 = -90°. The disk then undergoes constant angular acceleration. After accelerating for 3.1 s, the reference line has been moved part way around the circle (in a counterclockwise direction) to qf = 153°.
---
since theta = theta(0) + omega(0)t + 0.5*alpha*t^2, for theta = angle, omega = angular velocity, alpha = angular acceleration, and t in seconds,
153 = -90 + 0*t + 0.5*alpha*t^2
243 = 0.5*alpha*t^2
alpha = 486/t^2
and so alpha should be around 50.5723205... right?!

but it's not!
the degrees seem right, because 243 degrees is the degree of difference. since the disk was initially at rest, omega(0) = 0.
what am i doing wrong?

// got rid of latex cause it wasn't working for some reason

Normally in these problems the angles are expressed in radians, not degrees. The method looks good, anyway.

-Dan

I would be surprized if they quoted the angles in degrees and then expected an answer in radians, but its a posibility.

Sam

BerryBoy said:
I would be surprized if they quoted the angles in degrees and then expected an answer in radians, but its a posibility.

Sam

Believe me, it's happened before! :yuck:

-Dan

omg... they DID want it in radians.....
hahaha.. I'm sorry. i wasn't careful in reading the problem.
(in the answer box it says rad/s^2. bleh)

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. It is a type of motion that involves circular or spinning movement.

What is a disk?

A disk is a circular object with a flat surface that is typically thin in relation to its diameter. It can rotate around its central axis and is often used to transfer or store information, such as in a computer's hard drive.

How is rotational motion of a disk different from linear motion?

Rotational motion is different from linear motion because it involves movement along a circular path rather than a straight line. In rotational motion, the direction of movement is constantly changing, while in linear motion, the direction remains the same.

What factors affect the rotational motion of a disk?

The rotational motion of a disk is affected by several factors, including the mass of the disk, the force applied to it, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the shape and size of the disk.

What are some real-world examples of rotational motion of a disk?

Some examples of rotational motion of a disk include a spinning top, a spinning wheel on a car, a rotating fan, and a spinning record or CD. These objects all have a central axis around which they rotate, creating circular motion.