1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational Motion Problem

1. May 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object of mass 7.1x1023 circles the earth and is attracted to it with a force whose magnitude is given be Gmem/r2. If the period of rotation is 32 days, what is the distance from the earth to the object? Here G=6.67x10-11 Nm2/kg2, me=6x1024 kg.

2. Relevant equations
    Fg=G*m*Me/r2
    T=2pi/Omega

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the first equation to isolate r, the distance from the earth to the object to get sqrt((G(m*Me)/Fg)=r
    But this is where I get stuck, i dont see how to find the other unknown, Fg I'm guessing it has to do something with the period of 23 days, but I cannot connect the two in my head.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Hint: Apply Newton's 2nd law. How is the object accelerating?

4. May 8, 2009 #3
    I set it up so that Fg=Mac, since Ac=V2/r, but the radius is still in the equation. If substituted it back in i would have another unknown, velocity. What am i missing here? is there another force?
    edit:
    Should i use v=r*omega, Period=2pi/omega, and substitute v=r*(28/2pi) into the Fg=M(V^2/r)?

edit2:
    i got the final equation GMeM/M(28/2pi)^2=r but its off by roughly 1x10^2., is there a problem with the period? I see that i used 28 days instead of 32 but i tried it with 32 also and it was still off, do i need to convert days into seconds or something?

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. May 8, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Good.
    You messed that step up a bit. Redo.

6. May 8, 2009 #5
    ok so i setup it up to look like this:
    Fg=m*r*(32[tex]/2pi[/tex])2
    Then i substituted it back into the original equation and i got:
    G*M*Me/M*(32[tex]/2pi[/tex])2=r
    and this comes out to 1.87e10
    the correct answer is supposed to be 4.26e8

7. May 8, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Still not right. For some reason, you are inverting things. v = r*(2pi/T), not r*(T/2pi). Redo your equation for v from post #3.

8. May 8, 2009 #7
    ahh thanks for catching that Doc. Al :D I'm sorry i still havent solved it, im really getting frustrated haha... i made the change in the equation but my answer is still off, is the mass in Fg=M*ac the mass of the object, right?

9. May 8, 2009 #8

Doc Al

Right.

Show me your final equation.

10. May 8, 2009 #9
    for the first few tries i canceled one r on each side of the equation, it came out to be
    r=G*M*Me/M*(2pi/32)^2

then i realized i was cancelling a r with a 1/r, so i carried the r^2 over and it became r^3, so i took the cube root of the answer, tried cancelling the M's, and still nothing.

11. May 8, 2009 #10

Doc Al

The M's will cancel and you will need to take a cube root. What's the final version of your equation for r³?

Be sure to convert the period from days to seconds! (D'oh!)

12. May 8, 2009 #11
    oooo, sweet. thanks, I got it now :D thanks a bunch

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook