Period of motion of an object dropped through the Earth

In summary, the object moves with simple harmonic motion, having a magnitude of radial acceleration equal to the gravitational force applied to it.
kubaanglin

Homework Statement

An object of mass ##m## moves in a smooth, straight tunnel dug between two points on the Earth’s surface. Show that the object moves with simple harmonic motion, ##a = - ω^2 x##. Find the period of this motion. You can assume that the Earth’s density is uniform.

Homework Equations

$$F=G\frac{Mm}{r^2}$$
$$V_{sphere}=\frac{4}{3}πr^3$$
$$ρ = \frac{M}{V}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been staring at this problem for the past 30 minutes. I would be very appreciative if someone could give me a hint on how to start this. I intuitively understand why the object would experience simple harmonic motion, I just can't figure out how to express it mathematically, especially since the hole does not have to go through the center of Earth.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For SHM, ##F\propto r## when r is the displacement from an equilibrium point.
Notice that the two points on the surface of the Earth do not have to be diametrically opposite each other.
However - you have ##F\propto r^{-2}## for the case that r>R. But that is not the case here.

How does M vary with r when r<R (R=radius of the earth)?

##M=\frac{4}{3}πr^3ρ=(\frac{4}{3}πr^3)(\frac{M_{Earth}}{\frac{4}{3}πR^3})=\frac{r^3M_{Earth}}{R^3}##
##a=G\frac{M}{r^2}=G\frac{\frac{r^3M_{Earth}}{R^3}}{r^2}=G\frac{rM_{Earth}}{R^3}##
Is this correct so far?

kubaanglin said:
##M=\frac{4}{3}πr^3ρ=(\frac{4}{3}πr^3)(\frac{M_{Earth}}{\frac{4}{3}πR^3})=\frac{r^3M_{Earth}}{R^3}##
##a=G\frac{M}{r^2}=G\frac{\frac{r^3M_{Earth}}{R^3}}{r^2}=G\frac{rM_{Earth}}{R^3}##
Is this correct so far?
That is the magnitude of radial acceleration if the object were not constrained to move in the tunnel.

Multiply by mass, m, to find the magnitude of the gravitational force. What component of that force is in the direction of the tunnel?

##F = G\frac{rmM_{Earth}}{R^3}\cosθ## where ##θ## is the angle between ##r## and the direction of motion. ##\cosθ = \frac{x?}{r}##.

kubaanglin said:
where θ is the angle between r and the direction of motion.
If you fall into a vertical hole, what is the angle between your direction of motion and the line joining you to the centre of the Earth?

The angle would be ##0°## so then ##\cos(0°)=1##. That leaves me with ##F = G\frac{rmM_{Earth}}{R^3}##. How would that account for the component of the force if the tunnel was not through the center of the Earth?

kubaanglin said:
The angle would be ##0°## so then ##\cos(0°)=1##. That leaves me with ##F = G\frac{rmM_{Earth}}{R^3}##. How would that account for the component of the force if the tunnel was not through the center of the Earth?
I'm sorry - I misread the question.
So let x be the distance from the midpoint of the tunnel. Express theta as a function of x and r.

So ##\cos(θ)=\frac{x}{r}## and then ##F = G\frac{mMx}{R^3}##?

kubaanglin said:
So ##\cos(θ)=\frac{x}{r}## and then ##F = G\frac{mMx}{R^3}##?
Yes.

Okay, so then
##a=ω^2x=G\frac{Mx}{R^3}##
##ω=\sqrt{\frac{GM}{R^3}}=\frac{2πr}{T}##
##T=\frac{2πr}{\sqrt{\frac{GM}{R^3}}}##
Is this correct?

Last edited:
kubaanglin said:
Okay, so then
##a=ω^2x=G\frac{Mx}{R^3}##
##ω=\sqrt{\frac{GM}{R^3}}=\frac{2πr}{T}##
##T=\frac{2πr}{\sqrt{\frac{GM}{R^3}}}##
Is this correct?
What is r there? Check the dimensional consistency.

Oh, ##ω=\frac{2π}{T}\neq\frac{2πr}{T}##
Then this should be the answer:
$$T=\frac{2π}{\sqrt{\frac{GM}{R^3}}}$$
$$T=\frac{2π}{\sqrt{\frac{(6.67⋅10^{-11})(5.96⋅10^{24})}{(6.37⋅10^6)^3}}}=5066 s=84.44 min$$

Last edited:
kubaanglin said:
Oh, ##ω=\frac{2π}{T}\neq\frac{2πr}{T}##
Then this should be the answer:
$$T=\frac{2π}{\sqrt{\frac{GM}{R^3}}}$$
$$T=\frac{2π}{\sqrt{\frac{(6.67⋅10^{-11})(5.96⋅10^{24})}{(6.37⋅10^6)^3}}}=5066 s=84.44 min$$
Looks right.

Thank you so much for your help!

1. What is the period of motion of an object dropped through the Earth?

The period of motion of an object dropped through the Earth is the amount of time it takes for the object to travel from the surface of the Earth to the center and back again.

2. Does the period of motion depend on the mass of the object?

No, the period of motion only depends on the distance between the surface and the center of the Earth. This means that objects of different masses will have the same period of motion when dropped from the same height.

3. How is the period of motion affected by the Earth's rotation?

The period of motion is not affected by the Earth's rotation as it is a free-fall motion and the object is not in contact with the surface of the Earth. However, the Coriolis effect may cause a slight deviation in the object's path.

4. What is the formula for calculating the period of motion of an object dropped through the Earth?

The formula for calculating the period of motion is T = 2π√(r/g), where T is the period, r is the distance from the surface to the center of the Earth, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can the period of motion be changed by altering the Earth's gravity?

Yes, the period of motion can be changed by altering the Earth's gravity. If the Earth's mass or radius were to change, the period of motion would also change accordingly. However, this change would be very small and not noticeable on a human scale.