Solving Rotational Motion: Find Force on Disc Axis (4m+m)

In summary, the question is about finding the magnitude of the force exerted by a uniform circular disc on a horizontal axis when the disc is released from rest at an angle of 60 degrees with the downward vertical. The answer is mg \sqrt{111}, but the person asking the question was having trouble getting the correct answer. They attempted to solve the problem by considering the disc and particle as a single rigid body, but they realized that the system behaves like a physical pendulum instead. They spotted their mistake and solved the problem.
devious_
Can anyone help me with this question?

A uniform circular disc has mass 4m and radius r. A particle of mass m is attached to the end of the disc at point A of its circumference. The loaded disc is free to rotate about a horizontal axis which is tangential to the disc at the point B, where AB is a diameter. The disc is released from rest with AB at an angle of 60 degrees with the upward vertical. Find the magnitude of the force exerted by the disc on the axis when AB makes an angle of 60 degrees with the downward vertical.

The answer is supposed to be [itex]mg \sqrt{111}[/itex], but I can't seem to get it.

I considered the disc and the particle to be one rigid body. I found the position of the body's center of mass and its moment of inertia about B. Then I began setting up the necessasry equations, working with the body as if it was a particle of mass 4m+m moving with circle motion with radius 6r/5, which is the distance of the center of mass from B. Did I do something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
devious_ said:
Then I began setting up the necessasry equations, working with the body as if it was a particle of mass 4m+m moving with circle motion with radius 6r/5, which is the distance of the center of mass from B. Did I do something wrong?

What did you do with the moment of inertia? This system does not bahave like a particle of mass 4m+m moving in a circle. It behaves like a physical pendulum. What did you get for I?

I spotted my mistake! Thanks anyway. :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is a type of motion in which an object spins or rotates around an axis. It is commonly seen in objects such as wheels, planets, and gears.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement around an axis, while linear motion involves movement in a straight line. Additionally, rotational motion is described using angular displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while linear motion is described using distance, speed, and acceleration.

3. How do you find the force on the disc axis in rotational motion?

To find the force on the disc axis in rotational motion, you can use the formula F = I * α, where F is the force, I is the moment of inertia of the disc, and α is the angular acceleration. You can also use Newton's second law, F = m * a, by considering the disc as a point mass at the center of mass.

4. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of mass of the object and is often represented by the letter I.

5. How does the mass of the disc affect the force on the disc axis?

The mass of the disc affects the force on the disc axis because it is a factor in calculating the moment of inertia. The greater the mass of the disc, the greater the moment of inertia, and therefore, the greater the force needed to produce a certain angular acceleration.