1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotational translations between L values and spectral lines

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1
    The question: Given that w=h-bar(L+1)/I. Suppose that we observe spectral lines from the HCl molecule at wave numbers (in cm^-1) 85.03, 103.73, 124.30, 145.03, 165,51 and 185.86 (wavenumber here is simply in the inverse wavelength lambda^-1). What L values do these lines correspond to?

My attempt: Knowing that w=2*pi*c/lambda I tried to set up a ratio between to wavenumbers and relate it to the original equation but couldn't find a set of integrals for L that matched my ratios. I don't know what to do.

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Perhaps you just need to allow for a little measurement error. You know ω is proportional to wave number (inverse wavelength). Try graphing those wave numbers and see what you get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?