Rotational Velocity Question - I think?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a parade of Chinese people and their birth rate. The formula a= v^2/r is mentioned, but it is noted that this may not be relevant to the problem. The concept of circles is also brought up, but it is determined that they are not related to the problem either. The idea of accounting for a birth rate from a few years ago is also mentioned. Overall, there is confusion about how to incorporate the birth rate into the problem.
kmael
It has been said that a parade of Chinese twenty a breast could march forever past an observing point. If we assume the parade to march at 3 miles per hour, with ranks 4 feet apart, what is the Chinese birth rate, in babies per hour?

ok, so far I've drawn a picture, and converted all my information, and if I'm correct, I need to use this formula: a= v^2/r
but if its a centripetal acceleration problem then where does the birth rate come into play? I'm so confused...

4mph = 1.34m/sec
4 ft = 1.22m
r= 20 people
d= 40 people
v= 1.34 m/sec

a= 1.34^2/20?
& babies per hr. = frequency

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, the title is wrong. =[

kmael said:
sorry, the title is wrong. =[

If you've figured out that the title is wrong, I hope you've also figured out that v^2/r has nothing to do with the problem.

circles have nothing to do with this, in the time taken for 1 row of people to go past the observation point, 20 more babies need to be born, little problem that babies can't walk (so it may be you have to take into account a birth rate from a few years ago, so you can work on number of new walking chinese people) sounds a bit pointless to me

1. What is rotational velocity?

Rotational velocity, also known as angular velocity, is the measure of the rate of rotation of an object around an axis. It is expressed in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is rotational velocity different from linear velocity?

Rotational velocity is the measure of the rate of rotation of an object, while linear velocity is the measure of the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line. Rotational velocity is specific to objects that rotate around an axis, while linear velocity is applicable to all types of motion.

3. What factors affect rotational velocity?

The factors that affect rotational velocity include the radius of rotation, the mass of the object, and the force applied to the object. The greater the radius, mass, or force, the greater the rotational velocity will be.

4. How is rotational velocity calculated?

Rotational velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the angular speed by the radius of rotation.

5. Why is rotational velocity important in physics?

Rotational velocity is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of rotating objects, such as the Earth's rotation, the motion of planets around the sun, and the rotation of wheels on a car. It is also applicable in various fields of science, including engineering, astronomy, and mechanics.