Rotational work and forces like static friction and tension

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of rotational work and how it applies to situations involving friction and rotational motion. While friction can exert an axial torque and contribute to the rotation of an object, it is not considered to be doing rotational work in these cases. This is because the definition of rotational work requires a rotation about a fixed axis, and in these scenarios, the axis of rotation is constantly changing. Gravity, on the other hand, can do rotational work when it acts at the center of mass of an object, causing torque and angular acceleration. The conversation also touches on the concept of inertial frames and how torque can be produced by moving the action point of a force in a direction perpendicular to the force.
Soren4
I have a doubt regarding the definition of rotational work, which is as follows

[itex]W = \int \tau_z d \theta [/itex]

Where [itex]\tau_z[/itex] is the component of the torque parallel to the axis of rotation [itex]z[/itex].

My doubt concerns the fact that, looking at this definition, it seems that any torque which has an axial component and causes a rotation, do rotational work.

However, consider a problem of pure rotational motion (i.e. rolling with no slipping), for example a disk rolling down an inclined plane and take as pivot point for calculate torque the center of mass of the disk. The static friction force generates a torque which is totally axial and is the cause of the rotation of the disk (if there was no friction the disk would just slip). But the static friction is a classic example of a force that does not do work because it does not cause any displacement.

A similar situation is the one with rigid bodies similar to yo-yos, i.e. falling pulleys that carry a wire (on which they roll without slipping). Again, the tension of the rope exerts an axial torque and causes the rotation of the yo-yo, but it seems very strange to me that tension can do work.

Do these forces perform rotational work? I probably misunderstood the definition but I do not see what is wrong. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
You left out the fixed axis ...
Rolling example: if the axis is the point where the friction acts (the 'fixed axis'), there is no torque and no work.
yoyo example: if the axis is the point where the tension acts (the axis of rotation) there is torque from gravity, which is doing work.
(note that friction isn't required to keep a cylinder rolling, only to get it to roll)

Likes Soren4
BvU said:
You left out the fixed axis ...
Rolling example: if the axis is the point where the friction acts (the 'fixed axis'), there is no torque and no work.
yoyo example: if the axis is the point where the tension acts (the axis of rotation) there is torque from gravity, which is doing work.
(note that friction isn't required to keep a cylinder rolling, only to get it to roll)

Thanks for the answer! Sorry if I expressed the condition of pure rotational motion incorrectly.

In the Wikipedia page it is claimed that the definition of rotational work is for a "rotation about a fixed axis through the center of mass". Now, considering the example of the disk on the incline, I'm totally ok with the fact that, if I consider the contact point of the disk with the incline to be the instantaneous axis of rotation, then static friction exerts zero torque while gravity does work, but, is there any reason why I cannot interpret the motion of the disk as a rotation about the center of mass, plus a traslational motion of the center of mass? If I do so, gravity still do ("traslational") work, but I don't see the reason why friction does no (rotational) work, according to the definition (it does exert a axial torque if the pivot point is in the center of mass). Am I missing something?

I don't think you are missing something. If you let something rotate, you also make use of friction. But it's you doing the work, not the friction.

Likes Soren4
Thanks, forgive me but I do not get how I am doing work instead of friction, I mean I just let the disk roll down the incline, I do not exert any force on it

Soren4 said:
Thanks, forgive me but I do not get how I am doing work instead of friction, I mean I just let the disk roll down the incline, I do not exert any force on it
That was gravity doing the work.

I was referring to letting e.g. a ball spin: you need friction to do that,

Likes Soren4
BvU said:
I don't think you are missing something. If you let something rotate, you also make use of friction. But it's you doing the work, not the friction.
BvU said:
That was gravity doing the work.
I was referring to letting e.g. a ball spin: you need friction to do that,

I hope I understood what you said (the fact that friction is not responsible by itself for the rotation, because it exists just if a force is exerted) but I still do not see why friction does no rotational work, just looking at the definition above, since fricition does exert an axial torque and that formula tells me that it means that friction does rotational work. Suppose to consider the motion of the disk as a combination of a traslational motion of CM and a rotation about the CM. Then if a force is exerted in the center of mass of the disk (like gravity), that force cannot exert torque, and I do not get how it can do the rotational work instead of friction

Other example: beam supported at two ends. One of the two supports disappears and the beam starts to fall and rotate. Does the other support do work ?

I admit I find it difficult to oppose your last paragraph. But you are not looking in an inertial frame and gravity does exert torque. Torque appears when moving an action point of a force in a direction perpendicular to the force. In this case gravitational force is moved sideways to directly above the support point. Torque and angular acceleration result.

1. What is rotational work?

Rotational work is the work done by a force on an object as it rotates about an axis. It is the product of the magnitude of the torque applied and the angle through which the object rotates.

2. How is rotational work different from linear work?

Rotational work involves the application of a force at a distance from the axis of rotation, while linear work involves the application of a force in the direction of motion of an object. Additionally, rotational work results in angular displacement, while linear work results in linear displacement.

3. What is static friction in relation to rotational work?

Static friction is a type of force that prevents an object from sliding or rotating when a force is applied in an attempt to move or rotate it. In rotational work, static friction can be present between the surface of an object and the surface it is rotating on, which can affect the amount of torque required to rotate the object.

4. How does tension play a role in rotational work?

Tension is a force that is exerted by a string, rope, or cable on an object. In rotational work, tension can be present in a rope or cable that is attached to an object and used to rotate it. The tension force can affect the amount of torque required to rotate the object, depending on the angle at which it is applied.

5. How do rotational work and forces affect the stability of an object?

Rotational work and forces like static friction and tension can affect the stability of an object by either increasing or decreasing its rotational inertia. If the rotational work and forces are balanced, the object will remain stable. However, if they are unbalanced, the object may tip or rotate, causing it to become unstable.