Rotations from Fourier Transforms? 4 times gets you back to original.

In summary, in a circuits class, the professor briefly mentioned that a Fourier transform is a rotation in infinite dimensional space, which can be seen as a "90° transform" from the space axis to the time axis. This concept can be further explored through the fractional Fourier transform, which allows for rotations through arbitrary angles and can be useful for analyzing time-varying signals. The older Wigner-Ville distribution is also related to this idea.
DrummingAtom
Today in my circuits class, we were talking about Fourier transforms and my professor briefly said something about how a Fourier transform is a rotation in infinite dimensional space. I would ask him more about it but since it's beyond our course I'd rather not bug him. Where can I learn more about this concept? Or what exactly is going on with that idea?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The FT can be looked at as a "90° transform" from the space axis to the time axis. (I'm not sure about the infinite dimensional part, unless it refers to the infinitude of points in a continuous waveform.) Going around four times returns you to the starting point, as your professor noted. Do a search for the fractional Fourier transform, which is a rotation through arbitrary angles, to see its generalization. The FrFFT can be useful when looking at time-varying signals. The older Wigner-Ville distribution is related, as well.

1. What is a Fourier Transform?

A Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It is often used in signal processing and image analysis to convert a signal from its original domain (e.g. time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain.

2. How does a Fourier Transform relate to rotations?

In the context of signal processing, a Fourier Transform can be used to rotate a signal in the frequency domain. This is achieved by multiplying the Fourier coefficients of the original signal by a complex exponential function, which corresponds to a rotation in the frequency domain. When this rotated signal is transformed back into the time or space domain, the signal will appear to be rotated.

3. Can a Fourier Transform be used to rotate images?

Yes, a Fourier Transform can also be used to rotate images. By taking the Fourier Transform of an image, rotating the Fourier coefficients, and then taking the inverse Fourier Transform, the resulting image will appear to be rotated. This is a common technique used in image processing and computer graphics.

4. How many times do I need to rotate a Fourier Transform to get back to the original signal?

For a 2-dimensional signal, such as an image, you would need to rotate the Fourier Transform 4 times to get back to the original signal. This is because a 180 degree rotation in the frequency domain is equivalent to a 180 degree rotation in the time or space domain, and a total of 4 rotations (180 + 180 + 180 + 180) would result in no net rotation.

5. Are there other applications of rotations from Fourier Transforms?

Yes, rotations from Fourier Transforms have many practical applications in fields such as optics, radar, and medical imaging. They can be used to correct for distortions in images, enhance image resolution, and analyze the frequency components of signals.