1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotations from Fourier Transforms? 4 times gets you back to original.

1. Nov 28, 2012 #1
    Today in my circuits class, we were talking about Fourier transforms and my professor briefly said something about how a Fourier transform is a rotation in infinite dimensional space. I would ask him more about it but since it's beyond our course I'd rather not bug him. Where can I learn more about this concept? Or what exactly is going on with that idea?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The FT can be looked at as a "90° transform" from the space axis to the time axis. (I'm not sure about the infinite dimensional part, unless it refers to the infinitude of points in a continuous waveform.) Going around four times returns you to the starting point, as your professor noted. Do a search for the fractional Fourier transform, which is a rotation through arbitrary angles, to see its generalization. The FrFFT can be useful when looking at time-varying signals. The older Wigner-Ville distribution is related, as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook