Rotor magnetic field and stator magnetic field

In summary: So it does not automatically create the 90 degree angle difference. The desired d and q axis are achieved by controlling the voltage applied to the motor. In summary, field oriented control converts the a, b, c axis to d and q axis and the PI loop drives measured current to desired amplitude, but does not automatically create the 90 degree angle difference. The desired d and q axis are achieved by controlling the voltage applied to the motor. The tutorial video from TI provides a thorough explanation of this process.
Physicslearner500039
This is one of the big confusions i have. When rotor magnetic field is 90 degrees with respect to stator magnetic field we get maximum torque. In field oriented control the a, b, c axis is converted to d and q axis. So making d axis to 0 and q axis to torque and running through pi loop does automatically the 90 angle differnce? Please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Physicslearner500039 said:
In field oriented control the a, b, c axis is converted to d and q axis. So making d axis to 0 and q axis to torque and running through pi loop does automatically the 90 angle differnce?
I don't think i know enough to address that postulate

Have you dug through that TI paper on FOC?

upload_2017-6-26_14-22-21.png

So making d axis to 0 and q axis to torque and running through pi loop does automatically the 90 angle differnce?

Here is a tutorial video from TI

I've not watched it yet. First few minutes look practical.https://training.ti.com/field-oriented-control-permanent-magnet-motors

jim hardy said:
Here is a tutorial video from TI

I've not watched it yet. First few minutes look practical.
Well i just watched all 53 minutes of it.

Fabulous presentation . Holds you like a Tom Clancy novel. Took me right back to sophomore year Analog Computing class !
So making d axis to 0 and q axis to torque and running through pi loop does automatically the 90 angle differnce?

See around minutes 13 and 40.
The PI loop just drives measured current to desired amplitude.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between rotor magnetic field and stator magnetic field?

The rotor magnetic field is the magnetic field generated by the permanent magnets or electromagnets on the rotor of an electric motor. This field interacts with the stator magnetic field to produce the torque needed for the motor to rotate. The stator magnetic field, on the other hand, is the magnetic field generated by the stationary magnets or electromagnets on the stator of the motor.

2. How are the rotor and stator magnetic fields created?

The rotor magnetic field is created by either permanent magnets or electromagnets that are mounted on the rotor of the motor. The stator magnetic field is created by either permanent magnets or electromagnets that are mounted on the stator of the motor.

3. What is the role of the rotor and stator magnetic fields in an electric motor?

The rotor and stator magnetic fields work together to produce the torque needed for the motor to rotate. The stator magnetic field is fixed and creates a magnetic field that interacts with the rotor magnetic field, causing the rotor to rotate. This rotation then produces the mechanical energy needed for the motor to function.

4. Can the strength of the rotor and stator magnetic fields be changed?

Yes, the strength of the rotor and stator magnetic fields can be changed by adjusting the number of turns in the electromagnets or the strength of the permanent magnets. By changing the strength of these fields, the speed and torque of the motor can also be adjusted.

5. How do the rotor and stator magnetic fields affect the efficiency of an electric motor?

The rotor and stator magnetic fields play a crucial role in the efficiency of an electric motor. If the fields are not properly aligned or if there is too much friction between them, the motor's efficiency will decrease. It is important to maintain a balance between the strength of the fields and the amount of friction to ensure optimal efficiency.