Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Round em up, send em to GITMO

1. Jan 22, 2009 #1
    Round em up, send em to GITMO!!

I'm watching CNN and YET AGAIN another CEO is spending wild sums of money (1.3 million) to redecorate his office. He spent 14k on a waste basket.

Over and over, all these CEOS are scum bags. I mean jesus christ, how disgraceful.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Re: Round em up, send em to GITMO!!

Unfortunately Obama just signed an order to close it down in 1 year.

Maybe they should be called to public service in the Green Zone?

4. Jan 22, 2009 #3

turbo

Gold Member

And spending over $80K on a rug? How can these creeps come begging for taxpayer money? We might need to bring back firing squads (as opposed to Madoff-type house arrests) to push the point home.

5. Jan 22, 2009 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think CEOs are justified in spending as much money as the board will allow on their offices. Further, I think that no company is justified in claiming government bailout money.

6. Jan 22, 2009 #5

I should have filled you in on more facts (my fault). He spent this money after requestion bail out money for his own company!

7. Jan 23, 2009 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not surprised (I've heard this and related stories already). Decisions in business are made on the margin, and this doesn't affect the margin (like, say, removal of a tax). If not for the public eye, I'd expect almost all companies receiving money to pay down debt and send out the rest in a one-time dividend. As it is, 'internal improvements' including improving a C*O's office would seem to be the order of the day.

All of this was easy to predict. It's one of the reasons (but not the main reason) that I opposed the bailouts.

Now perhaps Keynesians* can justify it for its stimulus effect to the economy, but I think it's scandalous.

* Obama was a closet Keynesian -- who knew?

8. Jan 23, 2009 #7

It's not all of them it's just most of them. :tongue:

Bill Gates for example despite earning my contempt for his Windows up until XP. Get's the big thumbs up on the philanphropist front. Ruthless in business but with a caring side.

9. Jan 23, 2009 #8

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Opinion is divided on that.
    The Gates Foundation is a foundation - which means it invests to raise it's value as well as handing it out. Not all of it's investments have been terribly ethical.
    There are also more than a few cases of countries suddenly switching to Windows, or abandoning moves to free software after a large donation,

10. Jan 23, 2009 #9

If by ruthless you mean illegal buisness practices, then yes.

11. Jan 23, 2009 #10

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think ruthless is related to ethics, not law. A company or individual might scrupulously follow the law, but take advantage of loopholes (and so forth) in such a way as to be called ruthless. But violating the law is also no defense against the label.

12. Jan 23, 2009 #11

I never said he was a saint, just that at least he was a humanitarian on the side. :smile:

13. Jan 23, 2009 #12

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Damn! I'd love to sell some stuff to these idiots.

14. Jan 24, 2009 #13

mheslep

Gold Member

Two questions:
    1. Public or private company? If its private, who cares what he does with his money?
    2. Why the sole focus on business CEOs vice lawyers, movie stars, professional athletes, etc?

15. Jan 24, 2009 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It wasn't his money. This was company money spent on furnishing his office.

Or I think it is - I'm guessing this thread is about John Thain (of Merrill, then BoA).

There's also that clever trick he pulled with the rescheduling of the management bonuses.

16. Jan 24, 2009 #15

mheslep

Gold Member

Yes probably was Thain. Good riddance to him, and bad luck to BoA shareholders left with Merrill debt. Kudos to BoA's Lewis for summarily firing him.

Ive yet see a good plan for remedying the 400 x base employee salaries to these guys. A hard cap plan is just as broken. If the boards would just do their jobs there would not be a problem.

17. Jan 24, 2009 #16

That wastebasket will be worth double in a couple of years, good investment!!!

18. Jan 24, 2009 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

19. Jan 24, 2009 #18

No, I mean microsoft breaks the law and gets away with it - time and again. Not Ethics, "The Law".

20. Jan 25, 2009 #19

Technically speaking the law is the exercise of practical ethics, but you're right. Mind you they have paid out hundreds of millions to people they have stolen code from, so they don't get away with it all the time.

21. Jan 25, 2009 #20

cool. A perfect crime.

Does the 'law' know about this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?