1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RPM with given distance

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    A space station is in the shape of a hollow ring, 450 m in diameter. At how many revolutions per minute should it rotate in order to simulate Earth's gravity-that is, so that the normal force on an astronaut at the outer edge would be the astronaut's weight on Earth?

All I got so far was finding the circumference=pid=1413 meters. I'm stuck, I don't know what to do next. Help please!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

So the space station is rotating, thus there is a centripetal force. Do you know what that is?

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3
    Yeah, it's the force that is the same direction as acceleration, towards the center.

5. Jul 24, 2009 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Right then. So you want the space station to produce a force which is equal to the weight of the astronaut. Can you make a relation between this force and the weight?

6. Jul 24, 2009 #5
    would it just be N=mg?

7. Jul 24, 2009 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yes the normal force on the astronaut is =mg. BUT you want the space station to spin to produce a force which equals mg. Do you know any formulas for centripetal force?

8. Jul 24, 2009 #7
    F=mrw^2?

9. Jul 24, 2009 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

yes, so you want mw2r=mg

can you find w and then convert that to RPM?

10. Jul 24, 2009 #9
    okay i got w=.20 but I don't know how to convert that to RPM. Wouldn't the units on w by 1/s^2? Is there a formula or conversion factor to get it to RPM?

11. Jul 24, 2009 #10

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Note that in the equation mw2r=mg, the mass is the same.

So dividing by mass, it become w2r=g.

g had unit of m/s2, and since r had units of m (meters, length), then w2 must give units of 1/s2.

w is angular frequency which is expressed in 1/s, and it's actually radians/s. Now since 1 revolution passes through 2pi radians, then 1 rps (revolution per second) = 2pi rad/s.

The frequency in revolutions per unit time = f = w/2pi = 1/T, where T = the period.

Conversely, w = 2pi f

12. Jul 24, 2009 #11

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Right then w=0.2 rad/s and you want it in revolutions per minute.

In 1 revolution, the station rotates 2pi radians.
    So 1 rad = 1 rev/2pi.

60 seconds = 1min

so

[tex]1 \frac{radian}{seconds} = \frac{60}{2 \pi} revolutions/min[/tex]

13. Jul 24, 2009 #12
    Okay, I got it now. Thank you!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook