How fast should a space station rotate to simulate Earth's gravity?

• Thread starter orange03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rpm
In summary, you want the space station to rotate at a frequency equal to the weight of an astronaut, which is .20 rad/s.
orange03
A space station is in the shape of a hollow ring, 450 m in diameter. At how many revolutions per minute should it rotate in order to simulate Earth's gravity-that is, so that the normal force on an astronaut at the outer edge would be the astronaut's weight on Earth?

All I got so far was finding the circumference=pid=1413 meters. I'm stuck, I don't know what to do next. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
So the space station is rotating, thus there is a centripetal force. Do you know what that is?

Yeah, it's the force that is the same direction as acceleration, towards the center.

orange03 said:
Yeah, it's the force that is the same direction as acceleration, towards the center.

Right then. So you want the space station to produce a force which is equal to the weight of the astronaut. Can you make a relation between this force and the weight?

would it just be N=mg?

orange03 said:
would it just be N=mg?

Yes the normal force on the astronaut is =mg. BUT you want the space station to spin to produce a force which equals mg. Do you know any formulas for centripetal force?

F=mrw^2?

orange03 said:
F=mrw^2?

yes, so you want mw2r=mg

can you find w and then convert that to RPM?

okay i got w=.20 but I don't know how to convert that to RPM. Wouldn't the units on w by 1/s^2? Is there a formula or conversion factor to get it to RPM?

Note that in the equation mw2r=mg, the mass is the same.

So dividing by mass, it become w2r=g.

g had unit of m/s2, and since r had units of m (meters, length), then w2 must give units of 1/s2.

w is angular frequency which is expressed in 1/s, and it's actually radians/s. Now since 1 revolution passes through 2pi radians, then 1 rps (revolution per second) = 2pi rad/s.

The frequency in revolutions per unit time = f = w/2pi = 1/T, where T = the period.

Conversely, w = 2pi f

orange03 said:
okay i got w=.20 but I don't know how to convert that to RPM. Wouldn't the units on w by 1/s^2? Is there a formula or conversion factor to get it to RPM?

Right then w=0.2 rad/s and you want it in revolutions per minute.

In 1 revolution, the station rotates 2pi radians.
So 1 rad = 1 rev/2pi.

60 seconds = 1min

so

[tex]1 \frac{radian}{seconds} = \frac{60}{2 \pi} revolutions/min[/tex]

Okay, I got it now. Thank you!

1. What is RPM with given distance?

RPM (revolutions per minute) with given distance is a measure of rotational speed, indicating the number of complete rotations an object makes in one minute while traveling a specific distance. It is commonly used to measure the speed of rotating objects, such as wheels, motors, and gears.

2. How is RPM with given distance calculated?

RPM with given distance is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the circumference of the object multiplied by the number of rotations completed in one minute. The formula is: RPM = (distance / circumference) x (60 seconds / 1 minute).

3. What are the units for RPM with given distance?

The units for RPM with given distance are revolutions per minute (RPM). This unit is used to measure the number of rotations an object makes in one minute while traveling a specific distance.

4. How is RPM with given distance used in real-world applications?

RPM with given distance is used in a variety of real-world applications, including in the automotive industry to measure the speed of vehicle wheels and in manufacturing to monitor the speed of conveyor belts and machinery. It is also commonly used in sports, such as cycling and running, to track the speed and distance of athletes.

5. Can RPM with given distance be converted to other units of measurement?

Yes, RPM with given distance can be converted to other units of measurement, such as revolutions per second (RPS) or meters per minute (m/min). The conversion factors will vary depending on the specific units being converted, but they can easily be found using online conversion tools or by using conversion formulas.