1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rudin 9.14

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    Define [tex]f(0,0) = 0[/tex] and

[tex]f(x,y) = \frac {x^3}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] if [tex](x,y) \neq (0,0)[/tex]

a) Prove that the partial derivatives of f are bounded functions in R^2.

b) Let [itex]\mathbf{u}[/itex] be any unit vector in R^2. Show that the directional derivative [tex](D_{\mathbf{u}} f)(0,0)[/tex] exists, and its absolute value is at most 1.

c)Let \gamma be a differentiable mapping of R^1 into R^2, with \gamma(0) = (0,0) and [itex]|\gamma'(0)| > 0[/itex]. Put [itex]g(t) = f(\gamma(t))[/itex] and prove that [itex]g[/itex] is differentiable for every t \in R^1.

I can do parts a) and b). I need help with part c) at t = 0. I am not sure if I need parts a) and b) for part c).
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Start off with [tex]\gamma (t) = \gamma_1 (t)\mathbf{e_1}+\gamma_2 (t)\mathbf{e_2}[/tex] and substitute this into f(x,y) and take a derivative (deal with t=0 separately). You do not need parts a and b for part c.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?