Rule for differentiating tan(x)

In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on the steps to differentiate tan(x) and how to determine which rule to use when substituting u for cos(x) and du for sin(x)dx. It is mentioned that there are no general rules for substitutions in integration and it is often a trial and error process. Two possible substitutions are presented, u=sin(x) and u=cos(x), with the latter being the easier option. The individual is encouraged to try integrating using u=cos(x) and compare it to the partial fraction method.
Splint
Hi,

I found on youtube a video showing the steps to differentiate tan(x). I can follow the steps quiet easily but I'm not sure which rule is being used when substituting u for cos(x) and du for sin(x)dx.

So which rule is being used and how do I know which is u and which is du.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this has nothing to do with "differential equations", I am moving it to "Caclulus and Analysis".

Splint, each integral situation is different and it is hard to give very general rules for substiutions.

tan(x)= sin(x)/cos(x) so to integrate tan(x) is to differentiate sin(x)/cos(x):
[tex]\int\frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)} dx[/tex]
I have, really, only a few possible substitutions: If I let u= sin(x), say, I get du= cos(x)dx but now I have a problem- the "cos(x)" in my problem is in the denominator not the numerator and so is not multiplying dx. But, in fact, I could use that substitution! Since I need "cos(x)dx", multiply both numerator and denominator by cos(x):
[tex]\int \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}\frac{cos(x)}{cos(x)}dx= \int\frac{sin(x)}{cos^2(x)}cos(x)dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int\frac{sin(x)}{1- sin^2(x)}cos(x)dx= \int\frac{u}{1- u^2}du[/tex]
which I could now do by "partial fraction".

But the "u= cos(x)" makes the problem much easier. If u= cos(x), du= -sin(x)dx so we have immediately
[tex]\int \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}dx= -\int\frac{sin(x)dx}{cos(x)}= -\int\frac{du}{u}[/tex]

Why don't you try integrating
[tex]\int\frac{u}{1- u^2}du= -\frac{1}{2}\left(\int\frac{du}{u-1}+ \int\frac{1}{u+1}du\right)[/tex]
and see if you don't get the same thing?

The fact is that much of "substitution" in integrals is "trial and error"- you try some substitution and see if it works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Rule for differentiating tan(x)

1. How do you differentiate tan(x)?

The rule for differentiating tan(x) is to first write it as sin(x)/cos(x), then use the quotient rule, which states that the derivative of f(x)/g(x) is (f'(x)g(x) - g'(x)f(x)) / (g(x))^2. Apply this rule to sin(x)/cos(x) to get the derivative of tan(x) as sec^2(x).

2. Can you explain the quotient rule in more detail?

The quotient rule is a formula used for finding the derivative of a quotient of two functions. It states that the derivative of f(x)/g(x) is (f'(x)g(x) - g'(x)f(x)) / (g(x))^2. This means that you first find the derivative of the top function, multiply it by the bottom function, then subtract the derivative of the bottom function multiplied by the top function, and finally divide by the square of the bottom function.

3. Are there any other ways to differentiate tan(x)?

Yes, you can also use the chain rule to differentiate tan(x). This involves first rewriting tan(x) as sin(x)/cos(x) and then differentiating sin(x) and cos(x) separately using the power rule. Then, use the chain rule to combine the derivatives and simplify to get the derivative of tan(x) as sec^2(x).

4. What is the derivative of tan(x) at specific values?

The derivative of tan(x) is sec^2(x) at any value of x. However, it is important to note that this rule only works if the angle x is measured in radians. If x is measured in degrees, you would need to first convert it to radians before finding the derivative.

5. How is the derivative of tan(x) related to the derivative of sin(x) and cos(x)?

The derivative of tan(x) is related to the derivatives of sin(x) and cos(x) through the quotient rule. Since tan(x) can be written as sin(x)/cos(x), the derivative of tan(x) is equal to the derivative of sin(x) multiplied by cos(x) minus the derivative of cos(x) multiplied by sin(x), all divided by (cos(x))^2. This shows that the derivative of tan(x) is dependent on the derivatives of sin(x) and cos(x).