Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rule for differentiating tan(x)

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    Hi,

I found on youtube a video showing the steps to differentiate tan(x). I can follow the steps quiet easily but I'm not sure which rule is being used when substituting u for cos(x) and du for sin(x)dx.

So which rule is being used and how do I know which is u and which is du.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since this has nothing to do with "differential equations", I am moving it to "Caclulus and Analysis".

Splint, each integral situation is different and it is hard to give very general rules for substiutions.

tan(x)= sin(x)/cos(x) so to integrate tan(x) is to differentiate sin(x)/cos(x):
    [tex]\int\frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)} dx[/tex]
    I have, really, only a few possible substitutions: If I let u= sin(x), say, I get du= cos(x)dx but now I have a problem- the "cos(x)" in my problem is in the denominator not the numerator and so is not multiplying dx. But, in fact, I could use that substitution! Since I need "cos(x)dx", multiply both numerator and denominator by cos(x):
    [tex]\int \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}\frac{cos(x)}{cos(x)}dx= \int\frac{sin(x)}{cos^2(x)}cos(x)dx[/tex]
    [tex]= \int\frac{sin(x)}{1- sin^2(x)}cos(x)dx= \int\frac{u}{1- u^2}du[/tex]
    which I could now do by "partial fraction".

But the "u= cos(x)" makes the problem much easier. If u= cos(x), du= -sin(x)dx so we have immediately
    [tex]\int \frac{sin(x)}{cos(x)}dx= -\int\frac{sin(x)dx}{cos(x)}= -\int\frac{du}{u}[/tex]

Why don't you try integrating
    [tex]\int\frac{u}{1- u^2}du= -\frac{1}{2}\left(\int\frac{du}{u-1}+ \int\frac{1}{u+1}du\right)[/tex]
    and see if you don't get the same thing?

The fact is that much of "substitution" in integrals is "trial and error"- you try some substitution and see if it works.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook