1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rule of Correspondence

1. Sep 3, 2004 #1
    A = {(x,7)}: (1,2), (2,5), (3,8), . . .} Answer: y = 3x - 1

Can someone explain the rules of correspondence. I read it in the book that I have several times, but it doesn't explain it fully 100%.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2004 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Rules of correspondence??
    ..uhm.. I don't know what you mean, or what that your notation is about.
    But if you are looking for the equation of a line through the points (1,2), (2,5) and (3,8), two points will suffice.

Going 1 unit in the x direction gives an increase of 3 in the y direction. that determines the slope. Try it from there.

If you mean something else. Just ignore me.

4. Sep 3, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's not quite clear what what you are asking. Given something like
    {(x,y): (1,2), (2,5), (3,8), . . .} (you had {(x,7)} but you MEANT that), there is no way to determine a single rule- there exist an infinite number of rules that give those pairs but differ on others. It is possible to ask "what is the simplest rule". I recently gave a rather complicated answer to that question in a different thread.
    In any case, I suspect what you want is the other way around: How do check to see IF y= 3x-1 is correct., The answer is, calculate it and see happens:
    if x= 1, y= 3(1)-1= 3-1= 2=> (1,2) checks
    if x= 2, y= 3(2)-1= 6-1= 5=> (2,5) checks
    if x= 3, y= 3(3)-1= 9-1= 8=> (3,8) checks

Since we have only 3 points, that's all we can do.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?