How to differentiate 1/y without making a fundamental mistake?

In summary, The problem is to find the derivative of a function, but the person is unsure of what equation to use. They have attempted to differentiate using a template, but are stuck. Another person points out that they have made a fundamental mistake and offers suggestions on how to correctly differentiate the function. The person understands their error and is now able to solve the problem.
grace77
Problem statement
Find dy/dx
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1394493023.920751.jpg

Revelant equations
None

Attempt at a solution
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1394493079.089215.jpg

This is what I got to so far but now I'm stuck... Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think you can use the template from now on ?
You need at least one relevant equation, and it is not clear to me what you do in your aattempt. Could you elaborate ?

It would be less confusing if you wrote y using exponents before doing the differentiation. Check the derivative of the second part of your expression; I think you have an error in the sign.

SteamKing said:
It would be less confusing if you wrote y using exponents before doing the differentiation. Check the derivative of the second part of your expression; I think you have an error in the sign.
Yes I think I put a negative 1/2 should be a positive

BvU said:
Do you think you can use the template from now on ?
You need at least one relevant equation, and it is not clear to me what you do in your aattempt. Could you elaborate ?
Ok I am not sure what equation to use in this though.

You are making a fundamental mistake: the derivative of 1/y is NOT 1 over the derivative of y. Either use the quotient rule to differentiate [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex] or write the whole function as [itex]2x^{1/2}+ x^{-1/2}[/itex] and use the derivative rule [itex](x^n)'= nx^{n-1}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You are making a fundamental mistake: the derivative of 1/y is NOT 1 over the derivative of y. Either use the quotient rule to differentiate [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}}[/itex] or write the whole function as [itex]2x^{1/2}+ x^{-1/2}[/itex] and use the derivative rule [itex](x^n)'= nx^{n-1}[/itex].
Thank you I understand it now

1. What is the purpose of "Rules for Differentiation" in mathematics?

The purpose of "Rules for Differentiation" is to provide a systematic approach for finding the derivative of a function. These rules allow us to calculate the rate of change or slope of a function at any given point on its curve.

2. How many rules are there for differentiation?

There are three main rules for differentiation: the Power Rule, the Product Rule, and the Quotient Rule. However, there are also additional rules for special functions such as trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential functions.

3. What is the Power Rule for differentiation?

The Power Rule states that the derivative of a function raised to a constant power is equal to the power multiplied by the function raised to the power minus one. In other words, if f(x) = x^n, then f'(x) = n*x^(n-1).

4. How is the Product Rule used in differentiation?

The Product Rule is used when differentiating a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of the product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second function, plus the second function times the derivative of the first function. In other words, if f(x) = g(x) * h(x), then f'(x) = g'(x)*h(x) + g(x)*h'(x).

5. Can the Quotient Rule be used to differentiate any function?

No, the Quotient Rule can only be used to differentiate a function that is in the form of a quotient, where the numerator and denominator are both functions. If the function is not in this form, it must be simplified or rewritten before the Quotient Rule can be applied.