Rumor about physics major, is it true?

In summary: EE students, on the other hand, are usually more interested in the applications of physics in the electronic and computer fields.
k_vince
Hey guys,

I am currently a EE major. I have heard from friends and professors that while selecting candidates for MS/PhD, some EE professors tend to prefer physics students over EE students. The reason being that physics people, on average, are more hard-working people. Is this anywhere near true?

The reason that I'm asking this is because I like physics (even though I am an EE). However, I don't have enough passion to go completely physics. I am more into the applications of physics in the electronic fields. If the rumor is true, then I would seriously consider getting a BS in physics then a MS/PhD in EE. Is this a realistic path? Has anyone heard of people doing this?

please pardon me if any of my sentences sound awkward (English is not my native language) :smile:

P.S: I've been taking phyics major physics courses (instead of engr major phys) so far. So, don't worry about me not being able to survive in phys major :smile:

By the way, for grad school, I wanted to go somewhere East Coast (US). I always wanted to live in a place that has snow :rofl:
The field that I'm interested is the solid state branch of EE. Any suggestions? :smile:

thx for the response

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yes we work so much harder and are 100x more bright. I know I believe it.

hahahahaha nope first time I heard that one =)
Tell you a tale that Einstein once said There are two things in the universe that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and I am not sure about the latter

You mean the former...

haha, I'm kinda surprise that no one heard of it :eek:

I'm guessing that one possible reason might be that a lot of the EE professors are actually physics major :smile: maybe this is why they wanted phy students more

I have heard that most math professors favor members of the United church of the flying spaghetti monster, because they are funnier. Any truth to this?

http://www.venganza.org/

i'm guess because phys student pull higher grades..but most eng have absurd timetables.

wanna see laziness? Come to the physics undergrad study room at my university!

Just today one of hte graduate students was talking about this one physicist from Cambridge that studied physics 6 out of 7 days. He then goes "I'm lucky if I can squeeze in...1 day of physics".

Then he asked if someone would go teach his lab for him :rofl: :rofl:

Absolutely not true AT ALL.

yeah, EE majors work hard for their money. so they better treat you right.

It sounds like a rumor to me. At my university, the average EE student needs to work as hard or harder than his or her Physics counterpart. The same might not be true for your university, however.

Pengwuino said:
wanna see laziness? Come to the physics undergrad study room at my university!

Just today one of hte graduate students was talking about this one physicist from Cambridge that studied physics 6 out of 7 days. He then goes "I'm lucky if I can squeeze in...1 day of physics".

Then he asked if someone would go teach his lab for him :rofl: :rofl:

My physics instructor last year was kinda like that. At the start of the quarter he said "I'm trying to teach you how to be scientists. We'll discuss topics in the news, whatever you want... and them maybe 10% physics, how's that?"

Of course, it wasn't really 10%. It was more like 11%.

PL

1. What is the rumor about the physics major?

The rumor about the physics major is that it is a very difficult and challenging major, requiring a lot of time and effort.

2. Is it true that physics majors have a hard time finding jobs after graduation?

It is not true that physics majors have a hard time finding jobs after graduation. In fact, physics majors have a wide range of career options in fields such as research, engineering, education, and finance.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background to major in physics?

A strong math background is important for understanding physics concepts, but it is not a requirement to major in physics. Many universities offer introductory courses to help students strengthen their math skills before delving into more advanced physics courses.

4. Will I have to conduct research as a physics major?

Research is a fundamental part of the physics major, but it is not a requirement for all programs. Many universities offer research opportunities for interested students, but it is not mandatory for all students to participate in research.

5. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are necessary to succeed as a physics major?

Some important skills and qualities for success as a physics major include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, a passion for learning, and a curiosity about the world. It is also helpful to have a strong work ethic and the ability to work well with others in a team.