Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Runge-Kutta or Runge-Kutter?

  1. Sep 30, 2008 #1


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

    I'm familiar with the Runge-Kutta methods for solving ODEs, but recently I've come across a reference to "Runge-Kutter", in which it appears to be used synonamously (unfortunately it's just a reference, the method is not stated explicitly). Is this a common typo, or is there a seperate Runge Kutter method?

    Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2008 #2

    D H

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    Typo. You can also find references on Runga Kutta methods, Runga Kutter methods, Runge Cutter methods. Engineers can be idiots.
  4. Sep 30, 2008 #3
    Only to be surpassed by Homework Helpers who can't keep foot from mouth.
  5. Sep 30, 2008 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    Depends on whether you are from Boston! I had a professor for Calculus I who always referred to "delter" and "epserlon".
  6. Sep 30, 2008 #5
    My favories are "os-kil-a-tion" (for oscillation) from a calc prof and and "hoe sh*t" (whole sheet) from a Chinese physics prof. I lost a week or two figuring that one out.
  7. Oct 8, 2008 #6


    Staff: Mentor

    Are you sure the first prof wasn't saying "os-kul-a-tion"? That means a kiss, as in when one curve intersects another at just a single point.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook