Russian and Chinese military reaching out

In summary, Chinese warships made their first call at an Iran port, while U.S. and Canadian jets intercepted eight Russian aircraft. This is not a new occurrence as similar events have happened in the past, with different countries engaging in surveillance and provocation tactics. However, the long-term implications of China and Russia potentially forming an alliance and challenging the West's power cannot be predicted. Additionally, it is uncertain if China will rely on Russian technology as they have a history of reverse engineering and stealing Western technology. The world may be headed for instability if China and Russia continue to counterbalance the West.
It seems that arguing on in the internet with strangers is a past time for all ages.

Physics news on Phys.org
HomogenousCow said:
It seems that arguing on in the internet with strangers is a past time for all ages.

hmm good point.

upload_2015-9-6_14-41-8.png

Aluminum.JPG

upload_2015-9-6_14-42-11.png

over and out on this topic

jim hardy said:
over and out on this topic

To be fair though, we're (I'm Chinese) producing a lot of steel and alumina because we're using it. Developed countries don't need that much because most of their infrastructure is fine as it is. There is an insane amount of construction in China.

Likes Czcibor
mheslep said:
In 1940 Nazi Germany was spending 40% of national income on the military against the US 2%. Today, the US by itself has military spending as much as the next ~dozen countries combined, and 3-4 times that of China. US military spending combined with that of its major allies is 5-6 times that of China, who has no major allies. Claims are circulating that China intends a blue water Navy. Good luck with that. The US operates 10 nuclear powered aircraft carriers with effectively unlimited range, compared to China's zero, and the US has enormous experience in operating and fighting carriers.

So me, I worry that military spending and the incurred debt is too high, with the correct amount of spending always given as "more" by the mouthpieces of the defense industry.

In 1960 the big political issue was military spending. The Democrats thought that military spending was insufficient. They said that the US had fallen behind Russia in missile technology. They advocated deficit spending to counter this threat. The Republicans thought that such spending was 1) unnecessary, and 2) would lead to inflation. Said inflation would devalue the currency, leading to more borrowing, which would lead to more devaluation, and so forth. President Eisenhower wrote that once begun, wasteful military spending would be very hard to get rid of. Such spending would be spread over all congressional districts so that all congressmen would support it, no matter how wasteful it was. President Eisenhower addressed the nation, warning that special "defense" interests were would influence the nation to perpetually increase "defense" spending.

The Democrats won the election. Then LBJ became president, a man whose power largely devolved from illegal kickbacks of cash from military spending directed to constituent Herman Brown of Brown and Root. The main source of the cash was the naval air base at Corpus Christi. Brown and Root later become Kellogg, Brown, and Root. This became a fully owned subsidiary of Halliburton and remained so until 2007 when it was sold off as KBR. KBR is plagued by scandal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KBR_(company)

In the 2000 election each presidential candidate insisted that he would spend more on the military than the other.

The huge "defense" industry has enormous if not dominant influence in Washington. Wars, both hot and cold, are very profitable to said industry.

HomogenousCow said:
To be fair though, we're (I'm Chinese) producing a lot of steel and alumina because we're using it. Developed countries don't need that much because most of their infrastructure is fine as it is. There is an insane amount of construction in China.

And i understand that there's alumina in high strength concrete...

The 1950's and 60's mentioned by Hornbein were my formative years. Insanity of the cold war era was pointed out very well in movies like Dr Strangelove and The Mouse That Roared..

Eisenhower said in his introduction to "Crusade in Europe" 'I think there is no fundamental difference between an average Russian citizen and an average American citizen..'
Indeed one of Ike's daughters married the son of Kruschev's KGB chief... (that's a difficult reference to find, i have it somewhere)
So i have for some thirty years now pondered this question, "Given that royal marriage , was the entire Cold War a hoax ? "

Could another Stalin or Hitler come about in today's world ?
I don't know.

Perhaps in one more generation we can all let down our guard .
But recent events around Mediterranean and Korean peninsula suggest it's too early just yet.

As mheselep corrected me, US manufacturing is far from dead

upload_2015-9-9_14-1-24.png

http://www2.itif.org/2015-myth-american-manufacturing-renaissance.pdf

but i hope we're manufacturing "the right stuff".

It seems prudent to me for any big country to remain self sufficient.

Thanks for chiming in., Mr Homogeneous Cow

old jim

jim hardy said:
And i understand that there's alumina in high strength concrete...

The 1950's and 60's mentioned by Hornbein were my formative years. Insanity of the cold war era was pointed out very well in movies like Dr Strangelove and The Mouse That Roared..

Eisenhower said in his introduction to "Crusade in Europe" 'I think there is no fundamental difference between an average Russian citizen and an average American citizen..'
Indeed one of Ike's daughters married the son of Kruschev's KGB chief... (that's a difficult reference to find, i have it somewhere)
So i have for some thirty years now pondered this question, "Given that royal marriage , was the entire Cold War a hoax ? "

I don't think the Cold War was a hoax. Stalin was about as evil a ruler as the Earth has ever seen.

I'm not at all sure that there was any danger that the USSR would invade western Europe. I think the USSR was completely fed up with war. But if I were President, would I take a chance and unilaterally disarm? No.

One can make a good case that the USSR's actions were defensive. Stalin trusted Hitler. In return he got the biggest national catastrophe of all time. From then on the armed forces have been Russia's highest priority and trust has been in short supply.

It is true that Truman went back on all the promises FDR made to the USSR. (See Morgenthau Plan.) Surely this betrayal did not improve the Soviet mood

Returning to the present, I think it is only natural for "defense" industries to act to maximize their income. Their CEOs would be derelict in their duty should they fail to do so. A means to greatly increase their profits would be Cold War II. I would be surprised if they were not advocating this to the best of their ability. There is every indication that they are succeeding.

What is driving all this is the construction of missile bases in Poland. NATO says that the bases are meant to defend Europe from a missile attack from Iran. I don't believe it, and neither does Russia. In 2012 Russia publicly told NATO to remove the missiles, otherwise there would be "war." The West took no action.

Russia feels threatened by the push for Ukraine to join NATO. There was serious talk of not renewing the Russian lease on the naval base in Sevastopol. Russia would do anything to keep that base.

According to the AP, Putin has an 80% approval rating in 2015.

Last edited:
Likes Dotini
One thing about Chinese military spending - as their neighbours they have such nice countries like North Korea (sure this one was supposed to be a buffer zone that outlived its useful potential), Pakistan and Afghanistan. Add to it powerful countries with border disputes like Japan (islands) or India (some piece of Himalayas). No significant ally (because of competition concerning influence in central Asia I would not count Russia as specially useful ally). Their military spending do not sound excessive as such.

The part making nervous:
-far reaching island claims (which of course could mean that they would also mass produce... enemies)
-what if Chinese economy really slow down (like lost decade in Japan) and the Party would start using nationalism as way of maintaining legitimacy, which could snowball in really destructive direction

Czcibor said:
North Korea (sure this one was supposed to be a buffer zone that outlived its useful potential),

It seems like a very useful buffer zone to me. Look at a map and see how close Korea is to Beijing. It was no accident that the Chinese waged war on the US/UN when that army approached the Chinese/Korean border.

Hornbein said:
It seems like a very useful buffer zone to me. Look at a map and see how close Korea is to Beijing. It was no accident that the Chinese waged war on the US/UN when that army approached the Chinese/Korean border.
Well, it does not work so well when its a hostile to all world, ultra nationalistic and militaristic country that forges even Chinese currency and is armed with nuclear warheads. Usefulness already went down around Nixon-Mao meeting in 1972. Now it is only a problem that China subsidies with annually equivalent of billions of dollars and not get much in return. (except of course teasing USA and South Korea, but it is still not good business)

Czcibor said:
Well, it does not work so well when its a hostile to all world, ultra nationalistic and militaristic country that forges even Chinese currency and is armed with nuclear warheads. Usefulness already went down around Nixon-Mao meeting in 1972. Now it is only a problem that China subsidies with annually equivalent of billions of dollars and not get much in return. (except of course teasing USA and South Korea, but it is still not good business)

If as you say North Korea gets billions annually from China, I would be inclined to doubt that North Korea is hostile or threatening toward China.

Surely those nuclear missiles increase its value as a buffer state, thus enhancing the security of China from potential attack by the West.

Hornbein said:
If as you say North Korea gets billions annually from China, I would be inclined to doubt that North Korea is hostile or threatening toward China.

Surely those nuclear missiles increase its value as a buffer state, thus enhancing the security of China from potential attack by the West.

In spite of all my efforts, I really have problems to imagine millions of Western (with aid of Japan, South Korea and Taiwan) soldiers marching on Beijing. Hypothetically I could imagine some limited war with air and naval skirmishes, where usefulness of North Korea would be tiny. Or a total war, but application of nuclear armed ICBMs would make any minor buffer state useless.

Czcibor said:
In spite of all my efforts, I really have problems to imagine millions of Western (with aid of Japan, South Korea and Taiwan) soldiers marching on Beijing. Hypothetically I could imagine some limited war with air and naval skirmishes, where usefulness of North Korea would be tiny. Or a total war, but application of nuclear armed ICBMs would make any minor buffer state useless.
China's concern is a would be thriving pro western democracy sitting on its border, which the Korean peninsula well might become if the south absorbed the north ala west and east Germany. There's much a totalitarian state has to fear from such a scenario that does not include military action.

mheslep said:
China's concern is a would be thriving pro western democracy sitting on its border, which the Korean peninsula well might become if the south absorbed the north ala west and east Germany. There's much a totalitarian state has to fear from such a scenario that does not include military action.
Existence of fully tolerated semi-democratic Hong-Kong a bit damages your argument. Actually it may be a bit more problematic, because local population uses Cantonese and is hard to classify them as some weird foreigners.

Czcibor said:
Existence of fully tolerated semi-democratic Hong-Kong a bit damages your argument. Actually it may be a bit more problematic, because local population uses Cantonese and is hard to classify them as some weird foreigners.
Yes, it would seem so absent a closer look. Especially since the handover, HK can't take any action that would cause the Chinese problems as could a unified Korea. For instance, the playing of loudspeakers on the border stating the leadership is evil as South Korea does now, correctly, against the North. HK can't be a haven for dissidents, can't make claims in the S China sea, can't join in solidarity with western countries on issues of common ground (trade agreements, UN troop deployments).

HK may have elections, but it is now subject to all the same net censorship and police action as the rest of China.

mheslep said:
Yes, it would seem so absent a closer look. Especially since the handover, HK can't take any action that would cause the Chinese problems as could a unified Korea. For instance, the playing of loudspeakers on the border stating the leadership is evil as South Korea does now, correctly, against the North. HK can't be a haven for dissidents, can't make claims in the S China sea, can't join in solidarity with western countries on issues of common ground (trade agreements, UN troop deployments).

HK may have elections, but it is now subject to all the same net censorship and police action as the rest of China.
1) Overstating direct activity, while ignoring indirect one. My country do not have any serious policy towards Ukraine and Belarus. However... Plenty of Ukrainians work in Poland. Same ethnic group, shared history and the language barrier is tiny... And one of ideas during the Maidan, was to turn Ukraine into something more or less similar to Poland. They've seen it and more or less liked it (except the immigration service who was trying to hunt them ;) ), no special advertisement was needed.
2) Actually a bit opposite. The semi-election as would not earn top grades. However, no net censorship in HK. Existence of Tienanmen Square massacre museum and anniversary commemoration. HK tries not to annoy Mainland too much, but actually big part of leaders of Tienanmen protest were smuggled through HK. Anti gov demonstrations in HK are also tolerated, comparably to Western standards.

Honestly speaking I doubt effectiveness of loudspeakers against NK, I suspect that smuggled SK soap operas have more influence...

Likes nsaspook
Russia tells Washington: talk to us over Syria or risk 'unintended incidents'
http://news.yahoo.com/russia-says-s...yria-avoid-incidents-100728012--business.html

Both Moscow and Washington say their enemy is Islamic State, whose Islamist fighters control large parts of Syria and Iraq. But Russia supports the government of Assad in Syria, while the United States says his presence makes the situation worse.

Send in Donald Trump? :biggrin:

Czcibor said:
actually big part of leaders of Tienanmen protest were smuggled through HK.
Tiananmen Square massacre occurred in '89, while Honk Kong was still under British rule, making my point about why Chinese would not want a pro-western soverrign state on its border. Hong Kong was turned over to the Chinese in '97.

Honestly speaking I doubt effectiveness of loudspeakers against NK...
The question was not one of effectiveness, but how much of an irritant the action proved to be against totalitarian North, which caused them to direct artillery fire in response.

Last edited:
Putin moves to establish Russian military base in Belarus
http://news.yahoo.com/putin-moves-establish-russian-military-belarus-143954578.html
Belarus has made clear it would not welcome a Russian base, but the former Soviet republic remains dependent on Moscow for credit and energy.
Not that they have much choice in the matter - it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
jim hardy said:
i read that article and it made me ask "Who's being the knot-heads in that exchange ? If two parties are flying warplanes around the same playground i sure want them talking to one another. ":
If you read history you find that heads of state always talk tough in public and negotiate in secret.

Hornbein said:
If you read history
i lived in Miami in October 1962
you need to read George Ball's account (The past has another pattern)

Putin at UN focuses on Syria
http://news.yahoo.com/putin-hopes-steal-un-show-syria-focused-speech-121610689.html
"The Russian diplomatic strategy is to be taken into account by the United States, basically," Dmitri Trenin, head of the Carnegie Endowment's Moscow office, said in a conference call with reporters. "Russia is creating facts on the ground. Russia is not asking for permission to be in Syria, or to be doing things it's doing in Syria, and that creates a position from which the Russians think they can get ... some kind of an understanding with the United States."

Seems to me US ought to pitch in and help Putin help Assad stomp Isis to death.

Or at least stay out of their way..

Likes nsaspook
jim hardy said:
Seems to me US ought to pitch in and help Putin help Assad stomp Isis to death.
Worked in Afghanistan right?

Greg Bernhardt said:

Which war? The 80's when we opposed Russia in Afghanistan or later after 9/11?

nsaspook said:
Which war? The 80's when we opposed Russia in Afghanistan or later after 9/11?
80s when Russia had to withdraw

Greg Bernhardt said:

We really got in Russia's way there. ( at least per "Charlie Wilson's War" )

It did work in WW2.
Of course 1940's was a lot closer to General Sherman's time.

Greg Bernhardt said:
80s when Russia had to withdraw

Russia had to withdraw then because we invested billions in proxy warriors and weapons to drag them into a 'Vietnam' that many believe (and I agree) started the end of the Cold War. I would hope our relationship with the Taliban then has taught us a lesson on what is the greater long term threat for the US. I would place Assad staying in control of Syria with the help of Russia much lower than IS gaining total control of the area.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/10/02/in-south-china-sea-a-tougher-u-s-stance/
Just days before Xi’s trip to Washington, a Chinese fighter jet flew in front of a U.S. RC-135 reconnaissance plane east of the Shandong Peninsula in the Yellow Sea. And in August 2014, a Chinese J-11 fighter jet passed within 20 feet of a U.S. P-8 Poseidon aircraft, performing a barrel roll in a maneuver the Pentagon condemned as reckless.
Back to the future:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1126/tu95km0015hr.jpg

Deadly Russian rocket system spotted in Ukraine for first time
http://news.yahoo.com/osce-says-spots-deadly-russian-rocket-system-ukraine-094835284.html

The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, which is monitoring a ceasefire in eastern Ukraine, reported that its monitors had seen a mobile TOS-1 'Buratino' weapons system for the first time.

The Buratino is equipped with thermobaric warheads which spread a flammable liquid around a target and then ignite it. It can destroy several city blocks in one strike and cause indiscriminate damage.

A very nasty weapon.

nsaspook said:
Russia had to withdraw then because we invested billions in proxy warriors and weapons to drag them into a 'Vietnam' that many believe (and I agree) started the end of the Cold War. I would hope our relationship with the Taliban then has taught us a lesson

I would dare say that hopes of such learning have been dashed.

I grew up in the Vietnam days and believed that lessons had been learned. Only to be rudely disabused of this notion in 2003.

The Middle East-is-Vietnam time warp theme is not uncommon, unfortunately.

Kerry pressed on: “When I fought in Vietnam, I used to look at the faces of the local population and the looks they gave us. I’ll never forget it. It gave me clarity that we saw the situation in completely different ways.”

“This isn’t Vietnam!” Netanyahu shouted.
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118751/how-israel-palestine-peace-deal-died

The Iraq war was many things, but it was not a Cold War proxy fight.

nsaspook said:
A very nasty weapon.
Just another slow tracked target for an air force with air superiority and smart weapons.